Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My kitchenaid refrigerator model ktrc22kkbt00 will cool then

Customer Question

My kitchenaid refrigerator model ktrc22kkbt00 will cool then it gets warm then cools again. The freezer will freeze dethaw and freeze again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you tell me how often this unit is defrosting and such? And when the unit is getting too warm, do you hear anything running or is it completely 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No It was my main fridge till this problem came up got a new now this fridge is in the garage but it is doing the same thing it did in the house.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, but can you tell me when the unit is getting too warm, do you hear anything running or is it completely 100% silent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is silent when it is warm.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that means you don't have a sealed system or compressor problem because the fans wouldn't shut off just because the compressor isn't running. That leaves either a bad defrost timer or a thermostat that is starting to fail and not turn the unit back on when it's supposed to. Since the problem is sporadic you really can't test it, but you'll want to order and replace the thermostat as that is by far the more likely part that has failed. This is the control at the top of your refrigerator which you turn to adjust the temperature of the refrigerator section (yes I know the freezer section is affected to, but just trust me on this because this thermostat actually controls both sides). Below is a link to the thermostat you'll want to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I first moved it outside and plugged it in the fridge did nothing when I replaced the capacitor it stared rite up.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
To me that is really nothing more than random luck or possibly shaking the machine when replacing the capacitor. The capacitor, start relay, or anything related to the compressor would not stop the fans inside the unit from running. If it's completely silent, then you're looking in the wrong direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will try your suggestions and get back with you is that ok

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
that's fine if it's less than a day or two, but if it's longer than that then you'd want to rate me now and you can still come back and ask follow-up questions later because the question will time out otherwise.