Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my washing machine does not spin fast enough I have replaced

my washing machine does not spin fast enough I have replaced he trans mission because of l leak and the clutch...wored for a while now the same problem ...machine doesn't spin fast enough any ideas
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the unit isn't spinning fast enough and the clutch was replaced (the transmission wouldn't cause this issue unless it wasn't spinning at all for future reference), then it means your basket drive is is either leaking oil into the clutch or is creating too much friction. The basket drive is also the "brake assembly" above the clutch, so you'll want to replace this part as well as make sure to clean out the silver cover which holds the clutch lining with soap and water to remove any oil that may have gotten inside this area. The basket drive or "brake assembly" will come with a new clutch lining because it often will get a little bit of coil on it when the basket drive fails.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can I tell if the basket drive is the problem

Well if you see oil inside the clutch area---there is nothing else that can cause this problem. Other than that, you really can't just "tell" that it's bad, but if you replaced the clutch already, it's the only thing that can cause enough drag to slow down the spin speed and since the clutch was replaced, process of elimination leaves only the basket drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what causes the basket drive to get tight

just normal wear and tear. It's a big metal spin tube which goes up through the bottom of the outer tub---this part is also generally refered to as the "spin tube". Just as axles on cars and trucks stop spinning as smooth when they get older, the same is true for these basket drives.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, but why do you think it worked for a couple of weeks when i installed the new trans and clutch and than it stoped spinnng fast again....seems kind of wierd...??

no... It doesn't seem weird at all. When you replaced the clutch---there was no oil on the new clutch liner. As time went on, a tiny bit of oil made it's way down to the clutch and now it's slipping again just like before. This is what I explained the very first time I replied back to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But I removed the clutch assembly and clean the liner with a light rub of fine sand paper andbrake clean...and reassembled and no change.....there is no chance that it could be electrical problem?

no, there is no chance it can be an electrical problem. It is exactly as I have told you from the beginning---you need to replace the basket drive which will come with a new clutch liner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

approx how much for the part and is it hard to change?

The part is about $100 depending on the exact model, and it's not much harder to change than the clutch. You just need to make sure to disconnect and remove the inner basket along with the drive block under the inner tub. Then you compress the large spring on the bottom of the break and pull it straight down an out the bottom where the transmission used to be and it will pull out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm I already spent 250...and now another 45 +100....I guess I am committed to fixing this thing thanks....for your help...I guess it cost to get

Aye, I'm not sure where you bought the parts from, but if you bought the transmission and it wasn't leaking out the bottom onto the floor, there really was no reason to replace it so you might be able to return it. That all depends on where you bought the part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh oil was all over the floor it had sprayed the inside walls of the shell of the macine.......they told me I couldn't just get the seal that I had to by the whole trans...but than I found seals on line

so I figured I would replace seals in old trans and set it aside till needed for next time...well thanks again I 'll let u know how I make out...

alright, well I wish you the best of luck.