Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have owned a dacor gas cooktop for 6 years now and I have

Customer Question

I have owned a dacor gas cooktop for 6 years now and I have had an annoying problem with the front left burner--the most powerful one-- that the "clicking" noise that usually goes away once the burner is lit, continues as I try to keep it at the upper limits of the flame. Is there something I can do to make it act normally? I have tried cleaning the removable openings of the metal pieces that allows the flame to come through, but it has not solved the problem. Help please!

Judy Mauer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker below the cooktop somewhere. I'm thinking it will be something like SGM365...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its prv36s

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's actually the downdraft, the cooktop is a separate unit from the downdraft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, here you go--pgm365- 1s/ng

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so this is what I had figured. This model has an inherent design flaw for the front left dual burner. The pressure form the inner burner pushes against the flame from the outer burner causing the flame to not touch the spark tip which makes it spark. Now if you put a pot over the burner, the clicking should stop, but whenever you're testing---don't test without a pot over the burner because it will constantly click.

Now if it's clicking even with a pot over the burner, make sure that if there are those cut out formica gaskets between the burner rings and caps and such that they are discarded.

Other than that, make sure that the parts are stacked correct, below is an image which shows how the parts should be stacked.

graphic

And lastely, replace parts 7 and 9 if everything is clean but it still clicks with a pot over top of the flame because one of them is not allowing the gas to flow properly causing a pressure issue which means that it's slightly warped or something to that extent.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My disassembled burner parts do not exactly match the diagram you provided. I also called the Dacor 800 # XXXXX they advised me to clean each of the parts with rubbing alcohol first, then see if the clicking stops. I will try that, even tho I am not very confident that it will resolve the problem. The Dacor guy said there may be an airflow problem, so I don't know if that means the same thing as the "pressure" issue you spoke of. Since it is not impeding me using the burner, what do you think the risk is if I continue to let it go as is? I'm weighing the expense of getting a serviceman in to fix it. Thanks for your advice

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is no risk whatsoever if you let the burner run as is---it's just an annoyance. But yes, cleaning the burner out with alcohol is a good idea and air flow is the same as pressure generated from the flames. It's up to you what you'd like to do, but it is just an annoyance, not really a functional issue that will get worse or affect the performance of the machine.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already provided a rating. I was told if I rated you again I'd be charged again. Thanks much

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You will be. I apprecaite you rating me. If you need anything else, please just let me know.