John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Kenmore top loader. Fills, agitates but will not spin or drain.

Kenmore top loader. Fills, agitates but will not spin or drain. Help
Hi I,m John I will help you with the no spin problem .
open and close the lid and tell me if you hear a slight click and send me the model number Just the numbers after the 110 please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, click. Model 22642100

Sometimes the lid switch will click and still be the problem, heres a video on how to replace the switch,you can also by pass he switch to see if its the problem .
Check the switch and let me know if thats the problem please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm doubtful that it's the lid switch. In fairness, I forgot to mention that there was also water leaking - about a quart or so, not a flood. Could it be a transmission part?

The water pump could be leaking , tip the washer back and look at the pump its just under the front of the washer.
To make sure its not the lid switch try by passing the switch to see if that works please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No leak from the pump. Everything looks fine underneath. How do I bypass the switch?

You will see a screw at each front corner on the console , remove the two screws and lift the console from the front and flip it to the back, the lid switch connects at the top from the timer , disconnect the plastic connector and join the two outside wires together this will bypass the switch.
as far as the leak if its not from the pump check the water valve at the rear right side of washer .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Somehow, everything we have tested is now working. There is just one other issue - no mater where I set the Hot/Cold water setting, all I get is hot water. Any thoughts?

The hoses could be reversed at the hot and cold water taps.
try reversing the two hoses see if that does the trick .