Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Mom purchased a LG oven & LG refrigerator recently that

My Mom purchased a LG oven & LG refrigerator recently that has to be next to each other. My mom constantly cooks, therefore, I am concerned about the heat from the oven/stove top affecting the plastic side of the refrigerator. Just the heat from the stove top burner has already affected the side of refrigerator. I contacted LG & they informed me that over time it really will affect the refrigerator. LG had no solution regarding some type of heat barrier. I was thinking of a solid wood/panel door for structure, & putting stainless steel tile with ceramic tile on the side that faces the oven. I want to stay away from plywood due to the possible heating of the glue inside plywood. Any ideas if this will work? thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the units are just not designed to be put right next to one another. Aside from the fact that the oven can get too hot and ruin the side of the refrigerator, I'm sure you've noticed that if you open the oven door and then open the refrigerator/freezer door---they hit. Now I've never seen one last longer than 5 years without one of the doors getting a major scratch or dent due to the other door, so you can expect that someone will be careless overtime and that will happen in the future.

Either way, putting up a wood panel and just a reflective piece of stainless steel on the oven side of the wood panel OR ceramic tile (not both) will definitely protect the refrigerator from getting damage. There is one thing you can not protect however, and that's the heat that comes out the oven door seal. It sits out from by the refrigerator door and the refrigerator door will still receive the heat which could cause the trim of the door or the seal to warp over time.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.