Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hi! I have a Fisher and Paykel dryer thats more than 5years

Hi! I have a Fisher and Paykel dryer that's more than 5years old.(I can't remember) and recently, when I put a full load in, the barrel doesn'tturn. I keep having to takeclothes out and keep trying and itseems as if it cantake a lighter loadbut not a heavier load. It's beenso that, now, it willonly turn if it has only maybe 2 rugs or 3towels in weight and at times, though the lights are on, thebarrel is at an absolute standstill and doesn't turn any mpore. Help! Has thedryer reached the end of its life?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Does the dryer turn at all now?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry G,
When I emailed earlier, i had one wet rug (very thick large bath mat)and a dress in the dryerand it totally stopped working. The lights were on but the barrel tried hard to turn but after a few times when I stopped and started the machine, it did not turn at all. When I looked at your question over 5 hours later,Iwent to have another try.

this time I had only one wet rug and a wet dress and again, it did not turn. I took th e dress out and with the weight of one rug only, it began to turn. It would seem to me that theweight affects the barrel turning, but it's practically useless if all it can dry is 3 wetdresses at a time or 2 wet towels or one wet rug (thick bath mat) at any one time.

It may be something to do with the misalignment of the weight in the dryer and barrel affecting the machine turning the barrel (what with the addition of wet clothes)...I don't know. If you know what is wrong, pls advise whether it is something that can be fixed, and if so, the ballpark for fixing something like this, and whether it is worth fixing.

thanksvery much,

Chin

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity Chin. Look around inside the door frame, are you able to find the model?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model ED56. I received an email regreting that you were not able to help me. I am not sure whether this has timed out. It was a long weekend holiday here in WA and I just got back from one and work.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Its okay, your fine, your question will be here. Unfortunately I have no documents for your model so I will relist your question for you. As soon as someone can help they will post here.

Barry
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
When the dryer does not begin tumbling, can you hear the motor trying to turn it? A humming noise followed by a click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it sounds like themotoris tryingvery hard to turnit

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That indicates that the motor is faulty and will require replacement.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Itold myhusband what you said and he thinks it's the bearings. What do you think?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The beaings would not likelty stall the motor and would be noisy during the light cycles, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In your expert opinion, what would be the ballpark to replace the motor? I would like to weigh the option betweenreplcement of motor and cost of a newmachine.

Thanks very much

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would guess around $200 or so. At more than 5 years old, it may be time to replace. Life expectancy is around 8-9 years.