Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

we have a siemens Sl34A dishwasher that wont drain. Recently

we have a siemens Sl34A dishwasher that won't drain. Recently had the circuit panel replaced after it fried. Could that be the problem? We've pulled it out, made sure there were no blockages in the lines, nothing in the filter or down in the pump.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

When you removed the filters from inside the dishwasher did you also remove the cover on the left and make sure nothing was stuck in the impeller of the drain pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we pulled the torx screw. Nothing really was in there. mostly water, a little soft grey floating mush. cleaned it all out. We pulled the backflow preventer, and then replaced it with a new silicone one. We've tried flushing with baking soda, vinegar and hot water. nothing seems to help.

Ok you will need to test the drain pump for 120 volts when you put it in a drain cycle. If you dont have voltage then the control board is bad. If you have voltage then the drain pump is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I test it without pulling it out from the wall? Are the pump contacts accessible from the front if I pull off the lower cover?

You might be able to access them from the front but it would be really hard. I always pull the dishwasher and remove the left side panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still there? got the unit out, side off, found the pump connections. ran through a cycle. when pump tried to pump, I got 112 v across the terminals, but the water would not rise high enough in the discharge to actually be expelled from the dishwasher. I can send a picture to explain what I mean.

Attachment: 2013-02-27_015907_doc1.pdf

The part you asked what it is, is the pressure chamber. They always look white and crusty. In the back part that you say water gets to here make sure where the gray drain hose connects isn't clogged. You can try to pull the gray hose of the cancel it and see if the dishwasher drains then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No apparent clog in the discharge line. I pulled the gray hose out and blew through it. I really looked to me when the pump was going, that the output was very low pressure, rose up slowly to that line that I drew and stopped there. The air gap above did not appear to disappear, move or compress when the pump was running.

Ok then you need to replace the drain pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't figure out how to get the drain pump off. There don't appear to be any mounting bolts. Plastic all around, with no access doors. What's the trick?

It has a tab on the top you have to push it down and then untwist it.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years