rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
15347769

Have a 05 thermador PG304BS gas range and gas oven. Oven will

Customer Question

Have a 05 thermador PG304BS gas range and gas oven. Oven will start right away but shuts down within 2 mins and will not restart. I can make it restart by turning off then on until the set temp , and then it will cycle normal. Did this 2 yrs ago and replaced the oven sensor and worked fine until now . Just replaced again this week ,still does not work. Thinking we might have got a bad part and reordered the oven sensor. Im hoping this is the problem . Thanks Geo
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 1 year ago.

rob clement :

Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.Are you getting any of the indicator lights flashing? if so what are they flashing.You can ohm out your oven sensor.at room temp it should read 1050-1100 ohms.Also do an amp draw on your ignitor,should be at least 3.2 amps.Please keep in mind,I am not there and need your input to correctly diagnose your problem.

Customer:

NO lights flashing

rob clement :

do you have access to a test meter?

Customer:

no right at the time

rob clement :

From your description,it sounds like it will either be the sensor,which is unlikely,or the ignitor itself.Very slight possibility is is the electronic control.Can you get access to a meter in the next couple of days?

Customer:

the oven will light if i keep switching the oven off then on, and once it is up to temp it will hold. Were in the cont business business and could check with my electrican for a meter.

rob clement :

That's great,just check that ignitor,I suspect it is weak and not able to keep the gas valve open long enough.Everytime you turn it on,it will burn for a short period of time and shut off and once it reaches temp,the oven is so well insulated it will hold that heat.When you turn it on do you get a faint gas smell?

Customer:

no

rob clement :

Ok,Once you get that meter and have done the above checks,you can always respond back to me for additional help.Please do not forget to rate my help.

Customer:

Once i turn it off then on , the oven will only stay on for a min or 2 before it shuts down again and i restart the process untill the desired temp is met, then it will maintain temp.

rob clement :

I understand,you need a meter to do some checks,otherwise all I can do is tell you to start throwing parts at it until it is resolved.I do not do that to a customer,whether in their house or online.At any time during this process you can come right back here and I will assist you in any way I can.I strongly suspect a faulty ignitor.It gives the exact problem you describe.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get the meter

rob clement :

Once you get that meter and get some readings,just come back here and let me know.I will check back with you in a day or so (unless I hear from you) and see how it is going.For now I will close this chat.

rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

replaced the bottom oven igniter and did not change the problem. Also noticed that if i change the oven temp a little , the oven will restart and shut down again. Once at desired temp the oven will cycle on and off. Thanks Geo H

Can you get me a complete model and serial number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, we were working in the yard today. PG304BS/05 and XXXXXXXXXXX 500029
No problem,wish I could do that myself but it is cold and gonna snow again.I appreciate the complete model,it makes a big difference.When you replaced the ignitor did you notice any rusting or burning on the burner?Also did you check the resistance on the sensor,if so what was it reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Burner looks clean with no rust. I turned the oven on with the pan off and the complete burner is lit and even flames. I don't have a tester but could take somewhere to get tested .The new one is doing the same thing. Thanks