Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

The motor on my Miele dishwasher #G 2181 SCVI SF is continuously

Customer Question

The motor on my Miele dishwasher #G 2181 SCVI SF is continuously running but will not actually go into wash mode. I cleaned the filter at the bottom.
Please help us.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Miele service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

are you getting an intake error or any other lighted error displayed in the machine?

Jon :

and is it the drain motor that is actually running? and no the wash motor?

Jon :

most often with these machines the drain motor is more common to continuously run then the wash motor. especially if it is not already washing. when this happens the flood switch or drain motor is jamming or continuosuly running because of an error in the dishwasher.

Jon :

if you cancel the current cycle and then reset it to another wash cycle, if it wil let you, after you hit start does the dishwasher still continuously run? if it does and will not fill with water or do anything else but run, then more then likely the machine has sensed a flood or water in the bottom drain pan. and will activate the flood switch. which will activate the drain pump and will continually run until all the water is out.

Jon :

so i advise un installing this machine and tilting it forward at about a 45 degree angle. and if water flows out the bottom drain pun under the machine, keep it tilted until the water doesnt come out any more. then allow it about 2 days to dry out with out any use. then try it again,.

Jon :

if the dish works fine then that was all you needed. but if it still doesnt work and will continuously run then you will have to remove the dish again and take off the bottom access panel and inspect further.

Jon :

i'll give you a minute to read my notes and answers. please get back to me here if you have questions. but in my honest opinion and taking into account that i work on these machines day in and day out, the problem is usually the flood switch. especially if the drain motor is the motor continually running. And usually the tilting of the machine will solve the problem quickly. and cheaply.

Customer:

It is the drain area that is running.

Jon :

so please try that and get back to me here and let me know what happens. i will still be here if you need me again. and if you feel that i have answered your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better rating so that i may get credit from the website for helping you. and if you have more questions please feel free to get back to me here at any time and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer:

The motor in the drain area is running continuously.

Jon :

ok. that is what i thought.

Customer:

It will not allow me to reset.

Jon :

like i said above, it is common for this to happen.

Jon :

if the machine will not reset, then there is definitely water in the drain pan under the machine.

Customer:

Water is still flowing into the drain pan and continually draining.

Jon :

so un install it and tilt it forward to get the water out. then allow it a few days for the rest of the water to dry up. then try it out again.

Jon :

is water flowing into the machine from the supply at the same time it is draining?

Customer:

The plug is behind the machine, so I am afraid to pull it forward to unplug it and tilt it while it is running.

Jon :

if the plug is behind the machine there should be enough room and slack on the cord to pull the machine out. other wise it could have been installed that way.

Customer:

Since it is after-hours, is it safe for the machine to run all night, until I can call a repairman in the morning?

Jon :

i would definitely check the water lines connected to the machine as well first. if you feel there is not eneough slack on that as well. then you have to turn the water off to the machine and the power by flipping the circuit off then pull the machine out to tilt it.

Jon :

it shoudl be safe as long as the water is not running in at the same time. but i would flip the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher from the main breaker panel. this will kill power to the machine quickly and easily, if the breaker is labeled, then you will not have to worry about anything until the repair guy comes.

Jon :

that is what i would do.

Jon :

do you know where the mian breaker panel is to your house?

Jon :

if you do, then flip the circuit breaker to the machine on the panel off. this will shut the machine off. and will be safe t leave like that until it can be worked on. but if you dont know where the breaker panel box is to your house or dont know what breaker to turn off, then i would try to remove the dishwasher and unplug it from the back. and if you dont want to do that either then you are forced to leave it running. again although i dont recommend that.

Customer:

We flipped the circuit breaker, and will call a repair man in the morning.

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

if you have any other questions for me just get back to me here and i will help you more.,

Jon :

if you feel that i have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positvely below this chat with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

and if you still have more questions, even after rating me positively now, you can come back here to me at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon :

and after the repair man comes and tells you what is wrong with the machine, you can come back here to me and i will get you part info so you can order the parts yourself and save money on parts.

Jon :

then have the repair man come back and install them. this could save you a lot of money.

Jon :

otherwise, just let them handle everything for you and that will be that.

Jon :

but please remember to rate my performance positively now below this chat.

Jon :

thanks again.

Jon :

do you have any other questions for me now?

Jon :

if not, all i ask is that you please remember to rate my performance positively now. this is the only way that i get credit for helping you from the website. and again, if you have more questions, rating my performance positively now, will not close out this chat. and you will still be able to get back to me here at any time and will be able to come back and ask any other questions you need to for this machine. And I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dana,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know what the repair man finds.

Thanks again and have a good night.