Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Dacor CPD227 double wall oven installed in 1999. Everything

Customer Question

I have a Dacor CPD227 double wall oven installed in 1999. Everything works OK except the oven lights - neither will come on using the door or the light switches on the control panel. Bulbs are good (40W A15 that work in other sockets). When I press the light switch on the panel for both upper and lower ovens, I hear a soft "click" (relay?), but no light. I know there's a relay board (costs ~$250) - do I need to replace it, or is there some other trick (I have wiring diagram/voltmeter/etc. if troubleshooting will help)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

you can actually check the power to each light socket and receptcale in your machine to see if there is power coming to the socket from the board.

Jon :

this will tell you if the boar is good or not.

Jon :

if there is full 120 volts to the light receptacle then you know the board is good. and the clicking you are hearing is the relay for the lights on the main board opening and sending the voltage to the lights.

Jon :

but if you dont have power to the lights then you know the board is bad. or at least the part that controls the lights. and this could indicate the relay for the lights is getting stuck. and could be the reason why you hear the clicking on the board.

Jon :

it works both ways.

Jon :

but to accurately check the control board and the fact that if there is power to the lights is to check with voltage. but can only be done with a volt meter. if you have one.

Jon :

if not, then i guess you could take the chance and gamble with the board.

Jon :

i would advise ordering it at www.repairclinic.com if they carry it? repair clinic.com is the only parts warehouse that i know of right now that will accept returns on electrical parts. even after they are installed and removed. and even for up to a year.

Customer:

ok, thanks. if there is no power, would it be the relay board or could it possibly be something else? i don't want to spend $250 on something i don't need.

Customer:

i do have a voltmeter, so that's not a problem.

Jon :

so you could order the board from them. then install it and check your machine. and if it works great. you just fixed the machine. but if it doesn't, then you can always return the board and get your money back and order the light receptacles and switches.

Jon :

ok. if you have a volt meter i advise checking the power to the light receptacles. then you will knwo for sure if the board is the problem.

Customer:

ok - are there other places that would likely cause both lights to be out at once? seems unlikely that both would go out ~the same time unless there's some common connection.

Jon :

you wil just need to power off the machine. then remove the lights and receptacles. and at the back of the receptacles you will notice two or so wires going to the receptacles. remove those and put the leads from your meter to the wires and power back on the machine. but please make sure the wires are not touching anything else. then put the light on and see if there is full voltage? if not, and you aresure the wires are good and you are checking correctly then you knwo the board is bad. if there is voltage to the receptacle and yet no lights then you knwo the light receptacle and switches need to be replaced.

Jon :

it is very unlikely that both lights would go out at the same time.

Jon :

so if that is what has happened, both going together, then i would suspect the board.

Customer:

yep, that's what i thought. thanks.

Jon :

especially if you just ran a self clean cycle or had a power outage or surge.

Jon :

that is usually what causes the damage to the board.

Jon :

you are very welcome. for the help

Jon :

do you have any other questions for me now?

Customer:

well, this happened a while ago - i'm just getting around to dealing with it. i also saw somewhere that dacor boards can go out if you change a bulb with the power on - have you heard that?

Customer:

i don't know if that's for the newer halogen bulbs or even for the older ones

Jon :

yes. i have heard of that. and it is because of the chance you take of shorting out the control board when replacing the light with power on. and with lights on. since there is always voltage sent to the switch and if the switch to the lights are on, then there is voltage to the lights. so if you disconnect the lights the power is interrupted. then when the bulb is replaced it is restored quickly. and that is what shorts out the control board.

Jon :

i always recommend turning the power off to the unit before doing any electrical work to it.

Jon :

it is just safer that way. and will prevent any other damage.

Customer:

ok - so there's a relay board and then the control board with the display. if no voltage to either socket, you would suspect relay board, right?

Jon :

yes. the relay board is what controls the lights. the control board is for the display and buttons.

Customer:

ok, great. thanks.

Jon :

i can get you the part info if you dont have the part info for the relay board already?

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Jeff,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

The part number for the relay board is 92029 and should cost about $260.

And again, can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or your local appliance parts store. but remember, the only place that will accept returns is repair clinic.

Please feel free to get back in touch with me here if you need any other help or have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.