Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

refrigerator will not stop running

Customer Question

refrigerator will not stop running
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

please allow me two minutes to look up your model ref

Jon :

be right back

Jon :

do you know what the temp is inside the ref and freezer cabinets now? or is the food spoiling? getting warmer?

Jon :

ok. have the diagrams infront of me now.

Jon :

have you had a power surge or power outage lately?

Jon :

and finally, is the compressor in the back bottom of the machine running? or the nosies you are hearing coming from inside the freezer cabinet? is the machine blowing warm air or cold air in the freezer?

Customer:

refrigerator is 40 degrees freezer is 12 degrees

Jon :

ok. so the ref is ok for now. but the freezer is starting to warm up.

Jon :

is the fan in the freezer running?

Jon :

and if it is, is the air that is beeing blown around cold or warm? you will need to stick your hand int he back middle of the freezer section to feel the air.

Jon :

and finally, if you remove the food in the freezer do you see any cold spots or spots of ice forming on the back wall of the cover inside the freezer?

Jon :

are you still with me?

Customer:

yes I believe I do feel air blowing around no power surge no power failure

Customer:

yes ice on back wall

Jon :

ok

Jon :

thank you for checking

Jon :

is the ice thick?

Jon :

it doesn't really matter much just wanted to check to see how long tis has been happening for.

Jon :

do you have a multi meter to do some checking with?

Customer:

no

Jon :

if there is ice forming on the back wall inside the freezer section then you are experiencing a defrost failure. and the ice is choking off the cold air to the freezer. where it would normally spread throughout the freezer and ref. i know it sounds weird that the cold air is staying in the freezer and not the ref. but yet the freezer is what is warming up. the fact here is when this happens the freezer temp is affected first because all the cold is made in the freezer.

Jon :

the ref is not going into a defrost cycle to allow the cold air being built up on the evaporator in the back of the freezer to be defrosted. and if the ref will not go into a defrost cycle the machine will just non stop run. and obviously produce way too much cold air.

Customer:

ok now what?

Jon :

and thus the machine will actually get warmer as all the cold air gets choked off into the freezer cabinet of the machine.

Jon :

ok so now, if you have a meter we can test the defrost components like the def heater and thermostat and main computer. but if you dont have a meter, i suggest unplugging the ref and taking a hair dryer to the back of the freezer cabinet for about 2 hours. fanning it back and forth the whole time.

Jon :

i know it will be a huge pain in the neck to do. but it beats turning the ref off for 3 days to allow it to manually defrost. unless you have another ref you can put your food into? this way it doesnt go bad and you dont loose money.

Jon :

if you have another ref, store the food you have in this one in the new one for the next three days and turn the problematic machine off. allow it to stay off for three days.

Jon :

then turn the problematic machine back onto its normal setting and allow it to run untouched and unoped for about a day. and see if it begins cooling.

Customer:

Let me see if I can pull the freezer out

Jon :

if it does, then great. put your food back in and monitor it. if this problem happens again in about a week or so, replace the main control board and defrost thermostat.

Customer:

I cannot. I will call a repairman in the morning I do not have another refrig.

Jon :

if you have a meter you will need to remove the food in the freezer cabinet and remove the back cover of the freezer on the inside. this will expose the parts we need to check. then when that is done you will see the heater and wiring to it. and the thermostat as well. with your meter set to continuity, you will need to check the heater and tstat. if they are good then replace the main control board in the back of the machine.

Jon :

if the heater or def tstat are bad, replace them.

Jon :

ok.

Customer:

ok bye

Jon :

i know this is a complicated repair. so if you feel it is better left to the repair man that is fine.

Jon :

and if you would like to save money on parts, i can get you the info now so you can order them yourself?

Jon :

this will save you a lot of money

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Florence,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you would like for me to get you part info after the repair man check the machine and determine what the problem is. This will save you more money. And you will be bale to order the parts either on line or at your local store at a discount. Then when you receive the parts, just call the company back to install them.

If you need more help or have more questions please feel free to come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.