Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

I have a Whirlpool dual oven and I need help troubleshooting

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dual oven and I need help troubleshooting the problem it's having, please.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service.

so the display does not want to light want to light, but will the touch pad respond?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized whirlpool service tech and I can help you today. If you still need help?

Please get back to me here if you do.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do still need help please. When I logged the question originally, the only response I got was "access denied".

To answer Juan's question, the display is blank but the button beep when you push them.

Thanks,

LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi LaDonna,

Thank you for the response. I am sorry however for the delay. I am just logging on to the website now after a very busy day.

If the control panel will beep but will not show any lights or the display will not light up at all then you may have a bad control panel or display board.

It is a pretty easy diagnosis if just the lights are not working and the buttons are. Again if that is the case, then you need to change the control panel. The one with the display on it.

Ok so i just looked up your machine and found the parts and diagrams for it. There are a few boards in this machine. There is a microcomputer which is the main board. then there is a touchpad or control panel. in which comes in a few different colors. and finally a smaller board behind all of those.

So it is important to get back to me here and let me know what is actually happening on the control board?

again, if just the display is either faded or not displayed at all and all the buttons function as they should normally, then you need the microcomputer.

It is part number W10340941 and should cost about $300.

Now very important side note, if nothing works at all but the buttons do beep, then you may just need the fuse in the microcontrol board. That is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand should cost about $25.

Both parts can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or at your local appliance parts store.

Please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is working at all - no display EXCEPT the oven light.

How do I get to the fuse?

Thanks so much!!!!!
LaDonna
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
LaDonna,

Thank you for the positive rating. And very generous bonus as well. It is greatly appreciated.

To get the fuse please go to www.repairclinic.com and type in the part number i gave you above for the fuse and the part info will come up. then just order it and the website will send it out to you.

And if you would like, go to the website and get their phone number and call them. This way you can tell them exactly what you need and they will send it to you that way.

Then when you get the fuse, power off the machine. Remove the screws holding the oven in the wall and pull it out about 5 inches. Or enough room to let you pull the front control panel off the machine.

And to do that you will need to remove the screws to the top and bottom of the front control panel and pull the panel off the oven. And behind the control you will see the screws to the microcomputer. remove those and you will see the fuse on the board.

Just remove the fuse and swap with a new one. Then reverse everything to put the machine back together again.

Please get back to me here if you have more questions and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again and please let me know how you do.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I AM SORRY.

I misspoke before. The thermal fuse on your machine is on the back of the unit. so you will have to remove the whole unit from the wall. then remove the back access panel by removing the screws and removing the entire panel. And behind it you will see the thermal fuse.

You can view the fuse by going to this link below and copying the link to your browser to open.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/4451354/589824

Sorry for the wrong info above. on the diagrams it shows the fuse with the board. but on the machine it is in the back. good thing i looked at the diagram.

if after changing the fuse and trying the oven out, it does the same thing, then you wil need to replace the micro control.

with any luck you will get off cheap and only have to change the fuse.
please get back to me here if you need more help and i will continue helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries... I followed the revisions you sent in your last message & it seems like a task worth attempting. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again....
LaDonna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon....

I just wanted you to know that I'm still waiting for the fuse to arrive. It has been ordered. I'll keep you posted. I hope you had a great weekend.

LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hey LaDonna,

Thank you for the update. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns when the fuse arrives and I will help you more.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Jon.... I finally received the part. I looked all in the oven for wear to unscrew it to pull it out. Is there a video I can watch on how to disassemble the oven to get to the fuse?

Thanks....

LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hey LaDonna,

I am glad you finally got the part. As far as for getting the oven out to access the fuse I couldn't tell you exactly how or where the screws are that are holding your oven in place. I will tell you that most ovens have the mounting screws that go around the outer frame of the oven. There is usually two around the door frame of the upper oven and two around the door frame of the lower oven. And on some ovens there is a molding piece that needs to be removed, almost like a cover, to access and expose the mounting screws.

And even in some cases the oven is not screwed in to the wall. It just simply rests in place.

It all depends on the way the installers installed the machine into your wall.

I would advise opening each door and taking a good look around the door frame to see any screws. If you see any then i would assume those are the screws you need to remove to remove the oven. If you dont see any screws then you may either need to remove the cover or moldings that go around the frame of the oven.

I will see if I can find some videos to show you what I am talking about and get back to you hear. But please in the meantime please look all around your oven to locate the screws holding it in place. And if you cant find them then I will tell you that you will need to call for a service company to come and pull it out for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Jon...

I attempted several times to remove all the screws that surrounded the frame of the oven and it just would not slide out. I really didn't want to give up but I think the faceplate may need to be removed before I can get to the fuse. That faceplate felt like it was superglued in place and I don't want to break anything.

Also, there were so many different size screws to keep track of and holes to align. Then I kept dropping and losing the screws. LOL!!! I figured I'd have half the screws left after I finished dropping them all down the sides of the oven door. There's a reason people do this for a living and others don't. Therefore, I broke down and called a repair man to come out this afternoon.

If you worked in the Dallas area for a company that made service calls, I could have placed a call at your shop. smile...

BTW,,, I tried to tip you again and the system said it would charge me for another service call if I did. I'm so sorry.... because I truly appreciate all your follow-up emails and free assistance. You're the best. Can I send a goodie bag to your "Just Answer" office?

Thanks again... LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi LaDonna,

I know taking these machines apart to work on them can be a pain in the neck. I almost think that the engineers think their machines never need to be repaired. Which we all know is not the case.

That is ok that you broke down and called in for service. I don't blame you if it is giving you that much trouble. It will save you some stress.

Just met me know if you need anything else or have any other questions and I will help you more.

And yes, to leave another tip or bonus you would have to accept the question again. But if you did that you could settle questions amount for what ever you wanted.

And if you go to my profile page at http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/ you can ask a new question in the box directly below my profile picture and it will come back to me directly. And once I get the question you can choose to accept my response to you. That would be the easiest way to give extra money for a job well done.

You could just copy and paste the link above to your browser then ask a question like how can I thank you for helpi g with my appliances? And the question will come to me and I will respond quickly and you can then choose to accept my answer. And after you accept I will get paid for helping you again.

And please don't feel like you have to do that. It is not necessary. But if you feel like I have gone above and beyond to try to help you you could ask that question and set the question price at $10 or so and that would be great.

And as far as for having an address for sending a goodie bag to me I don't think the website will allow it due to security reasons. But I can't stop you for searching for my address on the Internet. I am sure you will find it if you search for my name Jon Grella in Long Island New York.

Thanks again and it was my pleasure helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Jon...

The repairman came. It was the motherboard...$400+ and it's on backorder. Hmmm.... I'm not sure I believe him but what else can you do. I still think it's the fuse. LOL!!!!!

I went to your website link to send you a message directly but you have to be online to receive it. Otherwise, it sends my question to another expert. Please text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX when you're working "on-line" again and I'll attempt that approach.

BTW... Have you tried to Google your mailing address lately? Well... I have and it wasn't successful. (sad face) Do you have any other ideas on how I could attain your address? I'll leave my tip on the site once you log on again and I'd still like to send my goodie box - smile - LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hey LaDonna,

It could very well be the mother board. that is the main computer for your machine. But usually when nothing works, not even the lights, it is usually the fuse. So When he comes back or even if you would like to call him back and ask if he had checked the fuse, see what he says. Of course he could always just say that he did and it was fine. You know not everybody is truthful. But what I would do is when he comes back, should you want the job done, is ask him to show you that he checked the fuse. have him do it right in front of you. This way you know that he checks it out. Because honestly, if the fuse is bad in stead of the mother board it will save you hundreds of dollars.

That is what I would do just to double check his procedure. And if he gives you a hard time about it just thank him for his services and tell him you would no longer need him. I am sure he will do it at that point.

As far as for the website and me being logged on, I am sorry. My wife and I are expecting another baby, number two, any day now so I have not been logged on as much as I used to be. Just for 3 2 5 o nt a rio str e et, ron kon koma, ny 11 77 9 the simple reason that if a customer logged on and wanted my help I am afraid I would get back to them as quick as possible.

But I could stay logged on for you if you need me. It is not a problem. And actually, after you ask your question on my profile page I will get a message to my phone since they are linked and get back to you ASAP.

And I haven't tried to google my address. I guess it doesn't come up. You should be able to find it at www.whitepages.com or www.yellowpages.com. I will also try to send it over to you now. It would just be easier that way. Just keep an eye out for it.

If you need any other help please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First of all... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! How much longer???? I have two kiddos and in case no one has told you - TWO kids are much better than one. I got pregnant with my daughter only 8 weeks after I had my son. They are exactly one year and two days apart. They have been in the same grade since they started school (private schools recommend the boys wait a year). They are two peas on a pod. The closer they are in age, the better. Mine are 8 and 9 - I love it.

I saved your link and I'll continue to try to log back on to send you a tip. I think I can decode your address... and I'll confirm it in the yellow pages first.

I wasn't at home when the repair man came - my Mom was. I'll make sure I'm here when he comes back. I wanna confirm the fuse for myself. LOL....

I'll hit you back so you know... THANKS AGAIN... I hope you had a great weekend. smile

LaDonna

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

He is due the beginning of April. But since my wife was 2 weeks early with our first, a girl, she is betting that she will go early again. Especially since she has been having a lot more discomfort lately. Even some early contractions as my wife puts it. She is sooooooo tough and strong. Women are way stronger and tougher then men for sure. I don't know how you guys do it. When i get a cold I am laid out on the couch asking for my wife's help and chicken noodle soup.

We always wanted our kids to be close in age. And they will be a little less then two years apart. Not quite as close as yours but close still. We feel they will be closer that way. For some strange reason I guess. I know it will be good for them. I am hoping so anyway.

If you weren't home when the repair man came then yes, definitely be home when he comes back so you can makes sure he is not charging you for the board and just installing a fuse. And please don't think that this sort of dishonesty happens all the time. Which it doesn't. But I have known of some companies doing so so please be aware. If there are any problems or if for some reason things dont seem to be good or right ask questions and feel them out. And always use you best judgment. Even if it is telling you to tell him to leave with out payment.

And please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have more questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge. It is my pleasure to help you.

Please let me know how it goes. Have a great weekend as well.

Jon M. Grella
325 Ontario St.
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
631-974-5116