Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

was cooking; switched fan off and the fan started back up --

was cooking; switched fan off and the fan started back up -- no change in the switch position. So I can't get the fan to turn off -- please help!

Jon :

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Jenn Air service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

If you were using the cooktop and the fan came on then that means the cooktop has reached a temp to which the fan has come on. and in most cooktops if the unit reaches and goes beyond 275 degrees the fan will ocme on and not go off until it gets below 275 degrees again.

Jon :

so if the fan switch has been turned off give it time to cool off. and if the fan still hasnt gone off after the unit has cooled then we have a problem either with the fan switch or the controls of the fan.

Jon :

if it has been a while already then please get back to me here when you are ready to diagnose this machine and we will figure it out together.

Jon :

Waited 15 minutes, fan did not switch off. I unplugged the fan from underneath the gas cook top. I plugged the fan back in, and it is staying off, but now I need to light my gas cook top manually -- with a bar-b-que lighter.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

waiting for jon's reply

ok. so you unplugged it and now the cooktop will not light?

if that is correct then we will need to make sure the unit is completely plugged in. and if it is and there is power to the unit then it may have shorted out. and now you are experiencing multiple problems.

what is the full model number?

I will help you more when i know what the full model number is. this way i can bring up the diagrams and help you better.

But if this an electrical problem and parts that are failing i would suspect the control or main board.

Please get back to me here with the full model number.

Thank you again.