Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 14 year old Kenmore 90 plus series washing machine.

I have a 14 year old Kenmore 90 plus series washing machine. Model 110.C28932790. Last night in the wash cycle, a significant noise change in the spin cycle. Almost a grinding sound, certainly not a smooth sound. A burning smell was coming from the machine like burnt rubber. The machine was spinning. Do I call repair person or is this significant and time to get a new machine?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.Give me a few minutes to bring up your model. I'll be back shortly, thanks , Bryan
Okay, what you have is a bad direct drive coupling. this is in between the motor and transmission. Motor Coupling 285753A Alternate Product View these are easy to replace and you can do this yourself, heres a link to the part and a video on how to do it. no need for a service man if you have a few tools to do this with, hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
I hope you received my reply. Please let me know if you need more help.thanks, Bryan
I was wondering if you have your washer running again ? I havent heard back and you havent accepted my answer, do you still need help? let me know and if it is all set please rate me 3 or above so I get credit for assisting you, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It wasn't the direct drive. Switch was getting stuck on slow and fast at same time causing the burning smell. Just needed to jiggle the switch handle and will monitor from there.

Thanks for sending the info though.

thats great ! glad you got it running.keep this info though because the coupling will go eventually and you'll have the info to fix it. (they all wear out) thanks and have a great day, Bryan