Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi. My 13 year old Amana side by side refrigerator is not cooling.

Customer Question

Hi. My 13 year old Amana side by side refrigerator is not cooling. The compressor fan runs, and the compressor is warm although I don't notice it vibrating. Both can be turned off by turning down the freezer temp knob to off. The coils in the back of the freezer do not get cold, and the fan over them isn't running. I replaced the thermostat a couple years ago. Any suggestions of where to look next?

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, most likely you need to replace the start relay on the compressor (a common failure on these) the reason the fan isn't running in the freezer is the thermostat that turns that fan on has to be cold before it will. do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor about every 3-5 minutes ? can you look inside the refrigerator section on the side wall or the ceiling and get me the model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. First off, congratulations on your suggestion, I looked everywhere for a model number but not the ceiling. My wife found it.

The model number is XXXXX

I haven't listened long enough to the compressor to see if there is a clicking or buzzing, and unfortunately I'm not there right now to check. If it's important I could head back home and check it out.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you can respond later when you get back to it if you wish. if you hear a click or buzz you need to replace this . Start Device 67005560 Main Product Viewi t just plugs onto the side of the compressor. heres a link to order that. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/67005560/1159182?modelNumber=SXD26VW if you don't hear anything this may be stuck in a defrost cycle.in that case the defrost timer has failed. Defrost Timer R0131577 Main Product View try turning the little pink dial and see if it starts. I'm trying to give you things to check while your there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I turned the orange knob and got the fan moving again. I do hear the click about ever 3 minutes from the compressor. So I take it that means the new start relay.

Now, I don't suppose you can help me with a whisperkool 3000 wine cellar cooling unit that started freezing up? I don't think you can get parts for that anywhere, but it's not supposed to be able to freeze over so I thought at least I'd ask if there's hope!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I can take a look tomorrow for some info on the wine cooler if you wish, its been a long day and i am signing off for the night. yes if you hear the click the relay is bad. i would order and replace that. please dont forget to rate me 3 or above before you sign off so i get credit for helping you. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I need to do some research on the wine cooler , can you tell me how old this is ? also do you have the actual model number off the tag ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI. I think it's about 6 years old. There isn't a tag on the outside, and the case is riveted together. The only information it shows is:

Vinotheque Wine Cellars

Whisperkool 3000 XLT Series

http://whisperkool.com/xlt-3000/

BTW--I ordered the relay and hopefully can install it this weekend. I'd like to get a few more years out of that fridge.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I'll see what I can find on the wine cooler, it may take a while but I think I found a service manual on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI

I got the part, but the compressor doesn't seem to use it. I don't know if you can tell from the photos, 2 of the compressor and one of the part I bought. The left side has a plastic cover over a wire and plug. It look like that plugs right into the compressor. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I understand correctly, is it different from the one on the compressor now ? sometimes these are different and they have a new one. have you removed the cover over the one on the compressor yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Yes. I know the pictures don't really help, but I removed the plastic cover on the compressor. All that is under it is a set of wires that plug directly into the compressor. There doesn't appear to be a start relay on the outside of the compressor.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
really ? are you sure? it may have one like this with an overload instead.Relay and Overload Kit(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I think the attached picture is much better. It shows the brown thing plugged into the compressor, and the two prongs that it plugs into. I can't find any other protrubances on the compressor where there might be something else.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay the white part also comes off. thats funny the relay i looked up under your model number but they may have changed these halfway through production. it looks like you need the one I posted earlier today, sorry for the confusion, thats the one that came up under your model. heres a link to the exact replacement if you would rather get that one. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-and-Overload-Kit/4387913/586521

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the new relay and overload. The overload pins have changed, so I put the old one back in. Put on the new relay and it started right up!

Thanks for your help. If you think there's a chance with the wine chiller let me know and we can do under a different payment. I'm not quite so sure about that one. It's sealed, I've unriveted it and did everything they mention online about cleaning out the drain pan etc. But I don't think there are user serviceable parts inside, and I don't know of a commercial shop that will touch it. At $1,300 it's a bigger replacement cost than the fridge would have been!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh , I tried to get info on that but wasn't able to. All I can tell you is if you can get the number of the company and call them I believe this needs a temp sensor. I wish I could do more sorry, glad to hear the refrigerators running though. thanks , Bryan