Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Just received an E-13 message on screen of my washing machine.

Customer Question

Just received an E-13 message on screen of my washing machine. Have a load of laundry inside, and can't get the door open, and machine won't finish cycle. What is the problem, and how do I rescue my (expensive) clothes before the detergent ruins them?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

how are you?

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today. The e13 error is for a blocked drain.

Jon :

So I would assume this washer is not draining correctly or at all, correct?

Jon :

And if your washer doesnt drain and the water is left inside then the door will not unlock because the washer doesnt want a flood. So the first things we need to look at, if you havent done so already, is to check the drain hose that comes out the back of the washer.

Jon :

is it kinked or blocked or pinched shut? if it is then repair the drain hose and let it drain into a large pale or sink for now. this way we can rule out the drain hose as our problem.

Jon :

if the drain hose is not kinked or blocked or pinched in any way, if you advance to a drain and spin cycle what happens with your machine? do you hear or feel the vibration on the bottom of the machine where the drain pump is located? If yes, this may indicate a clogged drain pump or even a seized drain pump motor.

Jon :

hello there, how are you?

Customer:

Hi Jon - sorry for the delay getting to you. I was trying to get the door open. The drain hose isn't pinched, and doesn't appear to be blocked, but it is hard for me to get to. If I try to advance to a drain and spin cycle, the machine makes a loud humming noise, and causes a lot of vibration.

Jon :

ok. I know it can be a little harder to get to the back of these machines when they are already in place and of course full of water.

Jon :

but if you are pretty sure the drain hose is not a porblme and when the machine is advanced to the drain cycle all you hear is the humming, then that indicates the drain is clogged or seized.

Customer:

How do I clear the drain?

Jon :

since you cant get the door open to look for a model number, do you see a small four inche by four inch square access port ont he front of the panel under the door of your machine?

Customer:

Let me run and look - be right back.

Jon :

if you have a drain pump filter access port on the front of the washer we can let the water drain out through there. then that should let the door open and unlock. you then will be able to get your clothes out.

Jon :

ok. please check. I'll be here.

Customer:

No port on the front or the sides. Because of the cabinetry and weight of the machine, I can't get access to, or see the back very well. None of the hoses appear crimped, though.

Jon :

ok. good about the hoses. but bad about the access port. this means that we will have to do it the hard way to get the water out. Do you have these machines stacked on top of each other?

Jon :

with the washer on bottom?

Customer:

No - they are full-size, side by side machines, slid under a built-in counter.

Jon :

ok. not so bad then.

Customer:

There is a 4 inch viewing port between the back of the countertop and the wall, where I can look down with a flashlight.

Jon :

is there a lower panel just under the door that goes all the way across the whole front panel? one that looks like it can be removed? this way we can get access to the door lock release mechanism to open the door. if not, then it looks like we will need to remove the top and front panels. and that will be very time consuming and may be better left to the professional to do.

Jon :

where does that viewing port let you look into?

Jon :

the back or the front of the machines? and if it is not on the machine itself, then it may not do us any good. we need access to the drain pump or door lock

Jon :

we need to either empty the water or open the door. and since the door will remain locked because of the water stuck inside, this is going to be the problem.

Customer:

There is a lower panel, maybe removeable, but I'm not sure how. The viewing port is basically a segment of the countertop that I can lift away between the countertop and the wall - it has nothing to do with the washer and dryer accept to allow emergency access to the water cutoffs.

Jon :

if there is no access port for the drain pump we cant empty the water stuck in the machine without taking it apart.

Customer:

The lower panel runs across the entire front of the machine, under the door. It's about 5" high, but I don't see how it attaches or how to remove it.

Jon :

ok about the viewing port. that is what i thought. Thank you for that info. may come in handy later. but for now lets focus on the lower part of the front panel of the washer.

Jon :

ok. good

Jon :

get down on your hands and knees and look under the front of the washer, and essentially under that lower panel. do you see a few screws that are on the bottom fo the machine and that front lower panel? that is what would be holding the lower panel in place.

Customer:

Let me go look.

Jon :

if yes, you do see the screws there, they will need to removed first. this will hopefully give us access to the drain pump.

Jon :

please look and let me know.

Jon :

i am sorry to make you do this kind of looking and checking, but please realize that with out a model number i cant see what model machine you have and what features there are to work with.

Jon :

but if that lower panel comes off under the door then that is our best and easiest shot for getting the water out fromthe machine.

Jon :

please let me know what you find. thanks. I'll still be here for you.

Customer:

I can't see or feel any screws. The base of the machine is only about 1/2" off the floor, so visibility is difficult. I felt around, and could feel any screws or clips. The only thing I could feel were the feet of the machine.

Customer:

Sorry - could not feel any screws or clips.

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

i know there is much room under the machine either. but if there looks like there could be a lower panel, then i am sure there are screws under there holding it onto the front of the machine. But if you cant visually see them, and you have seen under the machine, then we will need to remove the washer from the cabinets and will need to remove the top and front panels.

Jon :

do you feel that this is something you can do?

Jon :

if not, then you will have to call for service and let them do it for you. it sounds like it is bad drain motor

Customer:

I can probably pull it out, but if there are screws under there, the only way to get access would be to tip the machine back, and there's no room for that.

Jon :

and that should cost about $50-$150 depending on model number.

Customer:

I found a sticker with a bar code on the back of the unit with some numbers. Might that help?

Jon :

yes, you may need to tip the machine to get the front panel off.

Jon :

yes. give it to me, what do they say?

Customer:

WFVC6450UC 18745405 1200rpm

Jon :

the top one will usually start with some letters, thats the model number

Jon :

thats it. jackpot.

Customer:

also 850060088074010302

Jon :

give me one minute to look it up. be right back. thank you for looking. and while you were back there, you didnt see the rest fo the drain hose kinked did you? and where does the drain hose drain into? a stand pipe that goes to your plumbing into the wall? or to a sink?

Jon :

what digits are after the uc in the first number?

Customer:

Drain hose looks fine...it goes into a stand pipe in the wall. The digits after the UC are 18745405

Jon :

there should be the model number wfvc6450uc then a / and two more digits, do you see that? or no, just the full 18745405?

Jon :

no worries if you cant see it. I'll try to get the model info with out it.

Customer:

I typed exactly what's on the sticker.

Jon :

ok. thank you. i guess because this is the info from the back of the machine they are not listing the full model number. let me try to get the info without it.

Customer:

Best of luck

Jon :

is this what your machine looks like?

Full Size Image

Jon :

click on the words full size image or the image above to view the picture

Customer:

yes

Jon :

if yes, then that lower panel comes off. for sure.

Jon :

there should be about three or four screws directly under the lower panel under the door.

Jon :

they will be directly under the washer back about three inches or so.

Customer:

So I'll need to pull the machine out and tip it back to get access?

Jon :

please take a good look under it. and yes, it would definitely help if you could tip the washer back about 3 inches to see. so if you can do that great. if not, then please try your best to get down as low as possible to view under the front panel.

Jon :

yes. tip back at least 3 inches or so should be enough room to see and remove those screws under the front lower panel.

Jon :

the screws should be a size 15 or 20 toques screw. so you will need a torques screwdriver to get them out.

Customer:

Can't view under front panel. Not sure I can lift it with a load + water. I'm elderly, and weight about 90 lbs.

Jon :

sometimes Bosch will use phillips head screws but usually its a toques. since they are a german brand.

Jon :

oh! I am sorry. then please dont lift the machine.

Jon :

i dont want to see you get hurt.

Customer:

Definitely don't own any toques screws.

Jon :

I am sorry. I didnt know you were elderly.

Jon :

This is going to be very heavy and will be a pain in the neck to repair and remove the front panels. so at this point i would tell you ti is best if you called for service.

Jon :

but here is what i can do for you to make it cheaper.

Jon :

it is most likely a jammed or seized drain motor.

Customer:

Haven't had much luck getting appliance repair people out here in a timely fashion. Is there any way I can at least rescue my clothes?

Jon :

and in that case, i can get the parts info for you so that you can order the parts and have them ready for when a servicer can get out to you. this way they can install it and only charge you labor. this will save you about $150.

Jon :

is that some thing you want me to do? get the part info?

Customer:

Parts info would be appreciated. Saving money is always nice. Saving my clothes would be nicer...

Customer:

They cost far more than $150.

Jon :

the only way to get the door open is to remove the lower panel and dissable the lock. and to do that for this model you need the torques screwdriver and ability to tilt the machine back.

Jon :

I am sorry about the clothes. I know it is a bummer. At least if it can be repaired, which it usually can be, then you can fix the machine and get your clothes out eventually.

Jon :

let me get the parts info for you be right back.

Customer:

OK. I'll call around and see if any of my neighbors can come give me a hand. Thank you for your help.

Jon :

you are very welcome. let me get the part info before you leave. be right back.

Customer:

Quick question - assuming we can get the front panel off, what do we do next?

Jon :

there is a release on most of these door locks that will let you manually open the door if stuck closed. I would have you remove the lower panel then reach into the washer just under where the door lock is and feel for the door release hook of the door lock to unlock the machine. then please keep in mind, depending on how full of water the machine is, there may be water that spills out onto the floor. so please be ready with towels at that point. at least that way you can get your clothes out. but will still need the drain motor to be repaired or replaced.

Customer:

OK. Thank you. BTW - in what part of the world are you?

Jon :

you are very welcome. I am in New York. You?

Customer:

Seattle.

Customer:

You're up late.

Jon :

yes in deed. usually am. especially here on this webiste. trying to make a little extra money doing consulting work. it works out ok.

Jon :

here is the drain motor pump info.

Jon :

drain motor is part number 674704 and since you are in Seattle you could use a company called Marcone. They are a very big appliance parts distributor and I think they have offices and warehouses close to you. I use them often and they are very reliable and cheap.

Jon :

you can either call or go to their website at www.marcone.com to order. here is their phone and contact info.

Customer:

I've heard of them. Thank you.

Jon :

call their customer service number and they will put you in touch with the closest office to you. this way when and if you want to order the part, it will not cost that much in shipping and will arrive to you quickly.

Jon :

Marcone Customer Service # XXXXX

Customer:

Will do. Best of luck in your consulting work...try not to work too late! Thank you so very much for your help!

Jon :

just call them and tell them the model number is XXXXX and you are looking for the drain motor pump or give them the part number i gave you above for the drain motor and they will send it out to you.

Jon :

it should run you about $60

Jon :

good deal.

Jon :

should save you at least $150.

Jon :

most companies that do this kind of job will charge over $300 parts and labor. so you should be somewhere around $150 to have them come out and install it. And that should also be on the high side.

Jon :

you are very welcome again. and thank you.

Customer:

Thats good to know. Take care.

Jon :

please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat before you log off tonight.

Customer:

Will do.

Jon :

that is how i get credit for helping you from the website.

Customer:

You're excellent!

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sally,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

It was a pleasure helping you tonight. Thank you for hanging in there with me as we diagnose the problem with your washer. You did great!

Please feel free to come back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns with this washer and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again. Have a good night.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
And thank you for the very generous bonus. That to is greatly appreciated.