Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Model 26 refrigerator / Freezer, 3 door model with

I have a GE Model 26 refrigerator / Freezer, 3 door model with ice water dispencer in the door.
ice/frost build up in the freezer compartment, also on the "roof" of the freezer unit there is a large ice build up
WE do not open the freezer much? never have left it open... why the ice

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no can't move unit, i'm older

okay well the model number should be inside the refrigerator section on either the side wall or the ceiling .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model GFSS6KKYESS serial LV901704

okay if theres frost on the back panel in freezer then its a defrost issue, are you unable to work on this yourself or can you ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Frost /ice issue is at the top "roof" of the freezer drawer and inside drawers and on outside of food packages, it seems the freezer is not defrosting

actually it sounds more like you have an air leak somewhere in the , when that happens the fans draw in warm moist air and that in turn turns into frost on your food and ceiling. check your door gaskets real good for a good seal. this doesn't sound like a defrost problem from what your telling me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, but what do I do about it now??? How do I get rid of what is there?

Good morning,just got your reply,did you find the gasket wasn't sealing tight ? if so make sure nothing is keeping the drawer from shut tightly, (something like food or ice) what you will need to do is take a hair dryer and defrost all the ice to get rid of it. if it comes back its still not sealing properly and you need to find out where its leaking air.