Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

i have a leaking water inlet valve from a model #plhs67egsb4

Customer Question

i have a leaking water inlet valve from a model #plhs67egsb4 refrigerator the water seems to be coming from the brown line solenoid also the blue wire from the brown connector is bare and some strands are broken?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

How are you?

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Frigidiare service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

give me one minute to pull up your model diagrams and parts info. be right back.

Jon :

ok got it.

Jon :

so your water valve is leaking? you can actually see it coming from the solenoid of the valve? the solenoid is the cylindrical part that the wires connect to .

Jon :

and if the wires are cut or stripping then you will need to either repair or replace that with the water valve.

Jon :

let me get the parts info for you.

Jon :

the water valve is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand should cost about $70.

Jon :

hello

Customer:

i have a new valve but the fittings are different

Jon :

the wiring harness that goes to the solenoids is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNnd should cost about $20. but to be absolutely honest with you, you could just repair the wiries and it would be much cheaper and quicker to fix.

Jon :

the water line fittings?

Jon :

how is it different?

Customer:

ccompression fittings the old one are screw offs

Jon :

actually just found a diode kit for the repair of the wiring harness for the valve

Jon :

it is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand should cost about $20

Jon :

ok. gotcha about the fittings.

Jon :

that is actually easier.

Jon :

what you need to do is unscrew the water lines from the other valve then cut it back about 1/4 inch from the screw fitting on the water lines, making sure to leave enough room to get back onto new valve, then stick it inot the new water valves.

Jon :

when you push each line into the valve you should feel a slight click when the line locks into place. and if you give a slight tug on the line it shouldnt come out.

Jon :

also, just a quick note, make sure you turn the water supply off to the ref first.

Jon :

then remove the lines and fit the new ones in. then turn the water back on and test for any leaks

Customer:

water is off

Jon :

do you understand how to reseat the water lines back into the newer valve?

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

do you have the old water lines off the old water valve?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

now do you see where each water line goes into the new valve?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

make sure you mark where each water line goes back intot he new valve. there should be one line for the water filter, one for the water and one for the ice line.

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

do you have a wire cutter or pair of scissors?

Jon :

use that to cut the lines just about 1/4 inch behind the nut on the lines.

Customer:

yes

Jon :

then push each end of the water line into the water valve.

Jon :

let me know when you have done that.

Customer:

done

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

have you pulled slightly on each line to make sure that it is in tight?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok good.

Customer:

okay i can put the valve back

Jon :

do you have the water valve screwed back into the ref?

Jon :

yes, please do. thank you

Customer:

what should i do about the harness

Jon :

ok. now about the harness, please tell me again how it is damaged?

Jon :

is the wiring to the connectors that go to the solenoid of the valve cut or spliced completely? or is just the plastic that protects the wires cut?

Jon :

if you wrap the cut wire with black electrical tape do you think that will fix it?

Jon :

or do you think the wiring is completely damaged and or cut?

Customer:

there is exposed wire from the blue wire on the brown connector

Jon :

ok. but is the wiring cut through?

Jon :

or is the plastic just cut back a bit and you can see the metalic wiring under it?

Customer:

broken strands not cut

Customer:

probably can be wrapped

Jon :

ok if you would like, and if you think the wiring is cut badly enough, to cut the wiring with a wire cutter about 1/16 of an inch behind the damaged wire. and then strip the wire and refit a new terminal on it. that would be the proper way to fix the wiring. and you could even use the repair kit i gave you a part number for above. it will come with the proper terminal to fit the wiring back into and then attach to the solenoid.

Jon :

ok. if it can be wrapped, try that first.

Jon :

obviously whenever working with electrical wires unplug the machine first.

Jon :

then wrap the wiring with the tape and then power back on and try the water first for any leaks.

Jon :

let me know how you do. if you get any water leaks make sure you can tell where the leak is coming from. it is best and easiest to check for leaks with two people. one person to get water from the dispenser and one person to look at the valve while the other person is getting the water.

Jon :

this way you can clearly see if the valve is leaking.

Jon :

if no leaks and you have water then you are good to go.

Jon :

but if you have no water then we would need to cut back the wiring and repair that next. and it would be better for you to order the wiring repair kit.

Jon :

let me know what you get.

Customer:

okay i think you have help me alot i will go get the kit thanks for your help

Jon :

and if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively with ok service or better rating. and if you have more questions even after rating me positively please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

you are very welcome.

Jon :

and please remember if you have any other questions or concerns please get back to me here at any time and I can help you more for no additional charge.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
James,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions please get back to me here at any time and I can help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.