Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a adavatium microwave oven It smells and does

Customer Question

We have a adavatium microwave oven It smells and does not heat the door switches are good what else should i look for ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

does this smell like plastic heating up and melting ? kinda of an electrical / plastic burning smell ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect. the issue is the high voltage diode, Diode WB27X10330 Main Product Viewthis is a common failure on this model. the real problem is these are very dangerous to replace. it is part of the high voltage side of the microwave where the high voltage capacitor can store a lethal amount of voltage even with the microwave unplugged. please be safe if your not sure you can replace this and call a tech to replace it. the part is around $35.00. hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do you discharge the capacitor? where is the capacitor located ? Where is the diode located

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the capacitor is part # XXXXX on the diagram and the diode # XXXXX they are located behind the control panel. to discharge you need to ground the capacitor (usually with a long well insulated screw driver) the diode is located connected to the capacitor and then to a ground on the body of the microwave. please be careful doing this if you choose to repair it yourself, be safe, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the capacitor has two terminals ground either one ? how can you tell when the diode is bad ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
in most cases you can smell the diode once you remove it . it will have the same smell as when you smelled it while running. yes you can ground either terminal.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
heres a video on how to test the diode if that helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYPathqPl0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The diode tests good 65

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, you need to look at the boards and see if any have burns or melted area's on them. check the relay board. Relay board WB27X10334 Main Product Viewand the main control board. Main Control Board - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX pay special attention to the diodes and transistors on the boards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they look good

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you are down to a bad magnetron unfortunately. its the only other thing that would smell like that. theres no way to really test the magnetron itself safely. Magnetron WB27X10327 Main Product Viewthe part number is XXXXX you would need to search on line for a replacement. both my usual parts suppliers say out of stock.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did remove the magnetron the white connector has a small burn spot on it with like a wire showing through it I think that is the problem ? Have part on order hope I can put this monster back together part was 49.00 free shipping Part is coming monday Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay it sounds like thats the issue. if its burnt then something is bad in the magnetron. hopefully everything works after you replace it. let me know, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

New meg still does not work. Smell is gone but does not heat on micro. On speedcook the lights come on and it heats a little, what next ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats hard to say at this point. these are dangerous to try to test as far as the high voltage side, it really needs to be checked by a tech at this point, please don't try to test any voltage on the high side its dangerous and can be deadly,be safe and call for service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the control panel back off and found that secondary interlock relay (rY2) had come apart, can that be bypassed with a jumper to see if it will heat then. Can just the relay be replaced or do you need to replace the board. What are the possible problems on the high side , I am an auto tech and deal with high voltage every day.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately you can bypass the relay, this would send power to the magnetron at full power and even possibly with the machine off, I cant be sure on that. as far as replacing the relay itself on the board the only way is if you can find the relay which they don't sell. on the high end check the thermal fuse on the side of the magnetron for continuity, it should have continuity all the time. remove one wire from it to isolate it .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the part number for the board ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Manufacturer Number WB27X10358
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The thermal fuse tests good . has continu with ohm meter What else ?

how much is a board ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks gone till friday will let you know

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome. have a great day . thanks , Bryan