Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a Frigidaire double door Model: FRS26B16CB4 SERIAL NO:

I have a Frigidaire double door Model: FRS26B16CB4 SERIAL NO: LA40209378 the problem is with a motor I believe. What happens you can hear it start and quit then start again and stop. It will do this 5 or 6 times before it will start running and stay running.

What is the problem?

Richard Mahan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Is the part you are calling the motor the round black object in the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ON THE BACK OF THE REFRIGERATOR THERE ISN'T A ROUND BLACK OBJECT.

ALL I KNOW IS YOU CAN HEAR THIS MOTOR TRYING TO START, ITS LIKE A WHIRRING SOUND

Ok I'm just trying to figure out what you are calling the motor. I assume you are talking about the compressor. You will need to pull the fridge forward and remove the lower back panel. Touch the back round object (the compressor). Is it hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ALL RIGHT LET ME GO LOOK

ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IT ISN'T THE COMPRESSOR. I CAN HEAR THE MOTOR RUNNING WHEN I GET CLOSE TO THE REFRIGERATOR. THE MOTOR IS UP TOWARDS THE TOP OF THE REFRIGERATOR

Open the freezer door. Do you hear the fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES

I dont know what you are calling the motor? Where is the part you are talking about. There only 2 fans and the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I GUESS I AM CALLING A MOTOR A FAN. DO YOU USUALLY HEAR A FAN TRYING TO START?

No you shouldn't. We need to figure out where the noise is coming from. Turn the unit off. Then turn it back on and see if the noise is from the fan in the freezer, the fan in the back or the compressor. Once I know where the noise is coming from I might be able to tell you what you need to do to fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK LET ME GO UNPLUG THE REF.

ok. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ALL RIGHT I UNPLUGGED THE REF. OPENED THE DOORS TO LET THE TEMP RISE PLUGGED THE CORD BACK IN AND EVERYTHING STARTED. I UNPLUGGED THE REF. AGAIN WAITED A FEW MINUTES PLUGGED IT BACK IN AND EVERYTHING STARTED AGAIN WITHOUT HEARING THE START STOP, START STOP, LIKE I HEARD THIS MORNING. THIS START STOP SITUTATION DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERYTIME HOWEVER THIS MORNING WHEN I CAME INTO THE KITCHEN THE FRIG. WAS TRYING TO START AND THEN STOP IT DID THIS ABOUT 8 TO 10 TIMES BEFORE IT FINALLY STARTED AND KEPT RUNNING. NOW WHETHER THIS IS A FAN OR COMPRESSOR I DO NOT KNOW

Ok most likely your were hearing the compressor. Make sure the coils are clean under the fridge. If they are dirty the compressor will get hot and have a hard time starting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I UN SCREWED THE BOTTOM CARDBOARD COVER AND VACCUMMED THE COILS WHICH WEREN'T TO DIRTY AND CLEANED ALL AROUND THE BEST I COULD. I HAD UNPLUGGED THE REF TO DO THIS. WHEN I PLUGGED THE REF. BACK IN I FOUND OUT WHERE THE START STOP WAS COMING FROM IT IS THE FAN IN THE FREEZER. IS THERE A MANUEL THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD THAT WILL SHOW ME HOW TO REPLACE THAT FAN?

Ok the fans not the problem. Yo need to replace the control board in the top of the fridge. You can order the part from this link. The part will come with instructions. CLICK HERE
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this control board on the inside of the freezer at the back of the ice maker?

Its on the inside of the fridge on the left side up by the controls.