Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite washer, model # XXXXX serial

I have a Kenmore Elite washer, model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX type 581. When washing clothes, it gets to the point where it should drain the tub and start the rinse and spin but the water won't drain. It sounds like the drain pump is not working, i.e. it hums but there is no sign of it attempting to pump out the water. I removed and checked the short hose connecting the pump to the tub and there is nothing in it. I pulled off the discharge hose to check for clogs and nothiong there. The thing seems to be intermittent in that sometimes it will work and sometimes not. When it doesn't pump out the water, it stops and gives an alarm light "LD". Does this sound like I need a new pump?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What di I do now?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I'm having site issues, give me a minute to look up the model, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this is a common problem on these. Have you removed the pump all together and check to see if theres anything in it like a coin or hairpin ? these sometimes get things stuck in the pump. Drain Pump W10536347       Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but I'll try that next. After I removed and replaced the hoses, we tried another wash cycle to see if it would work. As soon as it stops I'll remove the pump and check for obstructions. I will respond later.

Thanks,

Smile

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay,as you know the pump is easy to remove and check, when you remove the back of the machine it will be the pump on the left side (looking from the back) the other pump is the circulation pump. heres a link to help. (it shows you how to replace it ) http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/W10536347/2392433?modelNumber=110.28032701 let me know if you find anything in the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll let you know. It appears to be doing the same thing as it has previously. The pump started and is trying to pump out the water but it is taking a long time. It will eventually stop and give the LD alarm. When this happens, I'll remove the pump and check it out.

Thanks,

Smile

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay Ray, if you find nothing in the pump itself then the pump is failing and getting weak. you will at that point need to replace the pump. I hope its just something in the pump blocking it . if you do need to replace it the link I gave you above has it in stock and you can order it on line. let me know, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was nothing in the pump. I removed the volute and the pump impeller was cocked a bit to one side plus the shaft was fairly loose as if the bearings were gone. I have ordered a new pump. Thanks for your help.

RayCool

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thats good ! at least you got to the bottom of it. most likely something did go through it that caused it to break, good job ! please don't forget to rate me 3 smiley faces or above so I get credit for helping you. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.