Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

About one hour into our first attempt at an upper oven cleaning

About one hour into our first attempt at an upper oven cleaning cycle the control system "froze" and returned an F3E3 code "Meat Probe Sensor", supposedly it's short circuited except that it isn't even plugged in. There appears to be no way that I can reset or bypass this condition (including power down of the oven via the power line breaker). We've never used the Sensor for anything in the past. Please help!
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

How old is this oven?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oven purchased 7/24/2010.

BTW, it wouldn't be useful to me to be told that the uP has died since that would mean and expensive service visit from our local KA store. I suspect the uP in the controller died for thermal reasons, the Oven hasn't been used much and we haven't had call to use the temperature sensor.

What do you mean uP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The controller uses a microprocessor (uP) to effect its control functions.

Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You bet, and a completely equipped electronics lab in my home, I'm an EE recently retired from GE CRD, research lab and my work focussed on power electronics, thanks for asking.

Ok can you disconnect the p2 connector from the appliance manager control board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, it seems that the installer left me with a copy of the of the circuit schematic but I don't know how to access the hardware in the "box" or the locations of the various listed parts on the schematic. Tell me what or where your "P2" is and I'll try to locate it on the schematic.

There is a control board on the top of the oven called the appliance manager. Each connector is number by it. The P2 connector looks like it is a 8 pin connector.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, my schematic shows P2-1, P2-2, P2-5, P2-6, the last pair being the meat probe and it's where you identified. The schematic also gives codes to get into diagnostic mode and that seems to work! My wife has strongly suggested that we get to there any way that we can work on this at a later time? BTW, in spite of the error code, the meat thermometer is not shorted.

I have seen this model melt the wires to the meat probe socket when they are put into self clean. The wires are ran really close to the oven wall on the side. Disconnect p2 and test pin 7-8. Do you have continuity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O.K., good thought, I'll check this when we get back from lunch...hope prevails that a simple (and inexpensive) solution may result.

Let me know.