Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a KitchenAid Superba refrigerator, model #. The ice

I have a KitchenAid Superba refrigerator, model #. The ice cubes have been partially defrosting inside the opening between the ice bin and crusher bin and causing the entire part to back up to the point that it will not dispense ice cubes from the door. So I removed as much ice from the ice bin; there was a large piece of frozen ice inside the opening from the ice bin to the crusher bin. I had to chip that apart with the handle of a wooden spoon and I ran hot water on the remaining ice to melt it. Once I was able to remove the crusher bin, I cleaned that out in the sink.
My problem is this: I now cannot seem to get the crusher bin to go back into place! I've had this issue in the past and I have done this procedure a few times but this has never happened. Can you advise?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Try turning the auger in the bucket while setting the bucket down. Did that work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I've tried that several times. Is there a trick for lining it up precisely?

No there isn't a trick. The shave out the door is hex shaped but the one on the bucket that slides over it has 12 points to help it line up. Make sure the shaft on the door is clean and doesn't have build up on it. Sometime The shaft will pull up when you remove the bucket. Make sure the shaft is sticking up higher then the white part around it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The shaft inside the door doesn't have any build-up on it; the one in the bucket was moved around as I tried to remove all the ice. Does it have to be placed in the exact same position that it was originally in before it will fit properly? If so, I'm not sure how I can locate that position now since it's been moved around so much...

It shouldn't have to be in the same postilion but wiggling the auger shaft while putting the buck it on should line it up. Look at the bottom of the bucket and make sure that spot it the shaft slides into doesn't have anything stuck in it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will work on this for a while. If I continue to have trouble may I contact you again for assistance? And, if so, how do I reach you specifically?

Just reply back to me. Once you rate me you will can an email you can reply to me on also.