Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I am trying to replace my ge spectra oven ignitor. I have

Customer Question

I am trying to replace my ge spectra oven ignitor. I have removed the bottom panel in the oven and I can see the ignitor, however I cannot access underneath in order to get to the connections - do I somehow need to remove the warming drawer (how?) or is there an access from the top, inside the oven (again, how?!).

The good news is that the new part looks identical to the ignitor that I can see in the oven.... so at least I ordered the right part!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

To get to the electrical connector it is easiest to pull the oven forward and remove the lower back panel.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked at the back of my oven - there is one continuous metal panel up the back. It does not seem easily removable (requires removal of screws from both side panels, and there are a lot of cables etc. running through it). How does removal work?

Your right it does require removing screws but the warming drawer is a sealed unit like the oven is. Removing the draw will get you no where. Just remove all the screws around the edge of the back panel. Most the time if you work at it you can et the connection to come inside the oven then you wouldn't need to remove the back panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the connection unplugged when trying to get it into the oven. I tried removing the back panel and I can get the bottom out, but I can't shift the top and the back of the oven compartment is sealed and insulated - how I am I supposed to access the ignitor connection?

You will have to remove the back panel. That is the only way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Having tried to remove the back of the oven for an hour with little success (and about 20 screws) I left this for a few days as the back of this oven is clearly NOT supposed to be removed.

I then tried the initial idea of removing the warming drawer. Pinching the tabs to remove drawer was easy and I could clearly see (and connect) the ignitor. Total time for the drawer removal and connection 5 minutes.

Lesson - the drawer on this model is NOT self-contained, this is by far the easiest way to connect the ignitor, and there is NO WAY to easily remove the back and access it from the other direction.

Good to know. Thank you.