Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized

The bottom spray arm on my Kitchenaid Dishwasher (KUDS40CVSS4)

The bottom spray arm on my Kitchenaid Dishwasher (KUDS40CVSS4) is loose and is hitting the back/bottom of the dishwasher during the cycle, making a loud noise. Is it possible to tighten the spray arm? If so, how? Or should I have a service call? Thanks.
David Barr
Hi my name isXXXXX have been an appliance service tech since 1992.
If the bottom spray arm is loose, then it can be tightened only if the bottom support hub is not stripped part# W10077898. If the threads are stripped you would need to replace it.
As seen here:

But if you don't fill comfortable with the repair you can always call Whirlpool / KitchenAid
and ask for an authorized service tech to do the job right.

Rating my response does not close this question. After you rate me you can continue to ask follow-up questions at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. If you need anything else, please just let me know at any time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I try to tighten it myself first, and if that does not work, call a repair person. If so, how do I tighten it?

Hold the top of the nut with some needle nose pliers and turn counter clockwise on the spray arm. Should tighten it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That did not tighten it. In fact, the spray arm comes right off of the nut now. I tried putting it back on and turning both ways. I guess it must be stripped. I will call a repair person. Thanks.

If you want to go ahead and order in the # XXXXX will save you some money from the tech. I would use Google for best price shopping.
Hope this helps you,

Please remember you must rate your experience with me for me to receive compensation for my time and expertise. I will work for your highest rating, please let me know how I may earn it!