Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I own a Kenmore Elite 30" freestanding stove, element has gone

I own a Kenmore Elite 30" freestanding stove, element has gone out on the oven. The hidden element. I ordered a new one and received it today, I am wondering what I have to take off the oven to get to the element. Funny thing is the element checks out to be ok using ohm meter, but when you turn on the oven it pops and trips the breaker. Another strange thing is I remove the side of the oven to expose the element connections. I plug the oven back in and one leg of the element glows red hot. Don't know what is going on with that, it doesn't trip until you turn the bake control and trips when you turn it on.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

If you test the element for continuity to ground does it read closed. If you aren't sure what that means put you meter on ohms. Then put one of the leads on a terminal of the element. Then put the other lead on ground. Does it read open or closed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read both sides of element to ground and they appear to be open. I checked each leg to ground and it read good. No direct shorts, but when you plug in the stove one leg gets red hot and glows.

What is the ohms reading across the terminals?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Each leg to ground read around 1.2 ohms.

Ok so the element is grounded out. It should be open. You need to replace the element. If you have access to the terminals then you almost have it out. Pull the insulation from around the element. Then there is an access cover. Remove the cover and slide the element out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it on the side of the element connections? I have already removed that side of the stove.

Yes it is. Part 472 in the picture is the access panel. CLICK HERE