How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Man Your Own Question
Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9896
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Man is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our Whirlpool Kitchenaid Microwave has stopped heating at all. Model:

This answer was rated:

Our Whirlpool Kitchenaid Microwave has stopped heating at all.
Model: Microwave and Oven combo KEMS378SSS04

The control panel works, and when you start the microwave, it sounds fine, the turntable spins, the lights turn on but there is no heat.

There was a while when if I changed the cooking power, and did a manual cooking, it would heat a little, now there isn't even that.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Most likely you have a bad magnetron. The magnetron is the heating element in the microwave. The repair needs to be done by a tech. The repair will cost over 300 dollars so I recommend just buying a new microwave.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's what kitchenaid mentioned, but in reading through these forums it sounded like others suggested that there could be a different issue?


 

If the microwave is running like normal with no other sounds most likely it is the magnetron. Since it runs like normal it eliminates the possibility of it being any of the easy things such as a fuse or a door switch. You may also have a bad high voltage transformer which is still to expensive to repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Is there any check i can do to ensure that it actually IS the magnetron and nothing else?

The only test you can do is to test the magnetron isn't grounded. Most magnetron dont ground out when they fail. There is no way to test voltage to the magnetron because it is so high. You basically have to test every part around the magnetron narrow the problem down. This will require a tech.
Appliance Man and 5 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions