Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Bosch dishwasher SHE44C07UC/38- checked heater relay solder

Customer Question

Bosch dishwasher SHE44C07UC/38- checked heater relay solder joints per several writeups on the web- found one connection burned open that needed to be resoldered - worked great one time - tried today and now stuck on 1 again with the water cool - just checked the solder connections and they are intact with no burning. How do I check heater and heater relay? Looks like you would have to remove DW from the cabinet to further troubleshoot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Most of use techs have tried to do what you did which is to resolder the burned joint. It doesn't work. You need to replace the control board. That is the only way to fix a burned solder joint. When that solder joint got hot it damages the relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I verify the water heater?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting for information on how to check the water heater

You can pull the dishwasher and remove the bottom panel and then make sure the element has continuity. This is a lot of work. There is a youtube video that will show you how. I am a factory authorized tech and have never seen the heater fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it possible to check resistance of the heater relay to verify that it is now burned open. I have no schematic - would need test points.

one gentleman on you tube changes the heater relay only - what do you think of that?

what is the success rate of changing the control board without burning up another heater relay? Have they changed the ampacity rating of the relay?

Where is the most reasonable source for the control board? Amazon has one for $124 seen others for $103 ebay has a refurb for $90

thanks - this unit is 7 years old and I'm just trying to figure out if I should repair or replace. What is your experience with the life expectancy of a Bosch unit?

This is a common problem with the bosch dishwashers. This dishwasher should last 15 years. I'm my opinion this is worth repair. I wouldn't but a refurbished board but where ever you find the cheaps part you could by it. I have never change just the relay because it is not a factory recommended repair. You can do an amp draw test on the wire that goes to the element. On a quick wash cycle the wire should draw more then 7 amps after 5 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you identify which wire to check amperage draw?

How do I get a printout of this discussion?

How do I get a schematic?

Bosch dont have schematics for their appliance. They only want factory authorized people working on there appliance. On most models the wire is red that you check the amp draw on. I think you can print this page but I dont know. You can see at about the 6:00 minute mark in this video that the wires are red and white going to the element. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water heater replacement seems out of the question

one more question: the fact that it worked at least once after I resoldered it should prove that the problem is indeed in the heater relay again and the only correct repair is a new control board.

Agree?

I agree. Replace the control board.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update - after pricing several control units I decided to change just the heater relay. The relay part number is R46-5D12-6 mfg by NTE. It is rated for 12 amps where the original relay was rated for 10 amps. Cost me $10.25 for the part including the shipping. Easy replacement. The dishwasher is now operating like new - much quicker run times.

Great. Still not what I would do because if that relay causes a fire because it is rated higher then I would be liable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The relay coil rating/resistance was identical. The amperage rating is what the contacts will take - and I presume since the heaters never fail on a Bosch that it should not be a factor. Unless - Bosch engineers used the relay as a fail-safe to burn out at the 10 amp rating. Seems like poor engineering if that is a fact. The original Bosch relay is no longer available. This is also obviously a common problem since I also changed a relay in a friends Bosch the following day. I would expect that the original relays burned out more due to pitting (arcing) between the internal contacts and not the external load. Anyway - thanks for your advise.

Your welcome. Take care.