Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

My Performa maytag dryer, PYET244AYW has been taking multiple

My Performa maytag dryer, PYET244AYW has been taking multiple cycles to dry my clothes. This dryer is 7 years old and until now has worked very well. We took off the front cover and found a huge, hard gob of lint, which we removed. Thought my problem was fixed. Still using many drying cycles. The timer does appear to speed thru the cycle. There seem to be heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The issue has to be air flow relates, so go to the outside of your home and see if the air is coming out really good. How is that air flow? Is the vent line squished behind the dryer, or really twisted and kinked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A new outside dryer vent was put in at thanksgiving. Inside line is squished but not bent. it is the accordian type of vent tubing. We took it off and no blocks. outside has good air flow. why is the lint wet on the door? There is heat, but maybe not hot enough. Timer moves way too fast. If I go every 10-15 mins and move the timer back it will dry pretty good.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The vent cannot be squished, it must be free flowing and open. You have an air flow issue. You can easily prove that by removing the vent line from the dryer for one load and see if it dries fast. If it does, you have an obstruction in the vent line, which I highly suspect you do.

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really do not think this is the problem. The vent is squished but not kinked. It is the accordian type of venting and so it is just collapsed tightly together, but not kinked!! Please answer about the timer moving too quickly and the buzzer ringing after only 15 mins. It has never done this before. The wet lint is not a good sign either. Maybe not enough heat either. I hate to spend this amount of $ and not get a correct answer.

please consider something other than the air flow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
This is not an airflow issue. The wet lint on the face of the door points to maybe the moisture sensor or the timer advancing too fast to the end of cycle, like 10-15 mins instead of 30-45 mins!!!Am not impressed with the quality of the first answers. He failed to read and consider any thing other than air flow!!!!
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

I have read your question. Now please dont get mad at this response. I tend to agree with the other tech that it is an airflow problem. This is why. The way a dryer works is it heats up to 180 degrees then cools back down to 120. then heats up to 180 and then cools back down. It continues to cycle the whole time. When a vent is clogged or restricted. the dryer heats up and removes the moisture but when the dryer is cooling down it should be pushing the moisture out side but cant. This is why it takes longer to dry because the dryer has to evaporate the moisture instead of push it out side. This is why you are getting humidity on the door. Since the dryer doesn't have good air flow the dryer can push the lint into the lint filter. Ok with that being said this is a simple test to see if the vent is clogged. Disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer then run a cycle. If it drys correctly you know the problem is with the vent. Please reply if you have any questions.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years