Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a GE refrigerator (model PSS26LSRC SS). The water dispenser

I have a GE refrigerator (model PSS26LSRC SS). The water dispenser is not working. The dispenser console control panel has power; the other functions of the control panel (e.g. ice) are working fine. The control panel button light for the water dispenser comes on when I push the button, so it appears to have power. However, when I attempt to draw water from the dispenser, no water comes out. What do you think the problem is? How correct it? Please advise. Thanks.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Pull the grill off the bottom of the fridge. Then look under the freezer door. You will see a connector on the water line. Disconnect the connector. Now try to dispense water. Do you get water out of the line you just disconnected?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hold on...let me check

Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, i get water from the tube when I push the water dispenser

Ok this means the water line is frozen in the freezer door. The only thing you can do is thaw the line. Use a hair dryer and heat up the freezer door until water starts to flow again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. I'll try unthawing the line with a hair dryer and will let you know.

Ok some times it takes a while to thaw.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been trying with the hair dryer and nothing yet. Where should I focus the hair dryer? I don't know where the water line goes once it is inside the door. Should I focus on the middle of the door? Left hand side? Everywhere?

The water line runs from the lower hinge to the dispenser. I would try to heat under the dispenser in the middle. It has taken me well over an hour to thaw a line before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. Got it. I'll continue with a focus under the dispenser in the middle. I also changed the freezer setting from 8 to 4, so that it won't be as cold.

The only other thing you can do is leave the door open.
Did you get it thawed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, thanks. finally got it thawed.

great.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No more information required at this time. The water dispenser is working. The $50 charge should be activated.

Thank you.

Thank you. Take care.