Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a GE refrigerator (model PSS26LSRC SS). The water dispenser

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator (model PSS26LSRC SS). The water dispenser is not working. The dispenser console control panel has power; the other functions of the control panel (e.g. ice) are working fine. The control panel button light for the water dispenser comes on when I push the button, so it appears to have power. However, when I attempt to draw water from the dispenser, no water comes out. What do you think the problem is? How correct it? Please advise. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Pull the grill off the bottom of the fridge. Then look under the freezer door. You will see a connector on the water line. Disconnect the connector. Now try to dispense water. Do you get water out of the line you just disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hold on...let me check

Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, i get water from the tube when I push the water dispenser

Ok this means the water line is frozen in the freezer door. The only thing you can do is thaw the line. Use a hair dryer and heat up the freezer door until water starts to flow again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I'll try unthawing the line with a hair dryer and will let you know.

Ok some times it takes a while to thaw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been trying with the hair dryer and nothing yet. Where should I focus the hair dryer? I don't know where the water line goes once it is inside the door. Should I focus on the middle of the door? Left hand side? Everywhere?

The water line runs from the lower hinge to the dispenser. I would try to heat under the dispenser in the middle. It has taken me well over an hour to thaw a line before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Got it. I'll continue with a focus under the dispenser in the middle. I also changed the freezer setting from 8 to 4, so that it won't be as cold.

The only other thing you can do is leave the door open.
Did you get it thawed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, thanks. finally got it thawed.

great.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No more information required at this time. The water dispenser is working. The $50 charge should be activated.

Thank you.

Thank you. Take care.