Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

We have a Jennair dual fuel cooktop/oven, it is a year old.

We have a Jennair dual fuel cooktop/oven, it is a year old. Recently, I have noticed a strange odour when the oven is turned on and also when any of the burners are turned on, I am not sure if it is gas or not, because the oven is electric. Any ideas what is going on?

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Its hard to say with out being there and smelling it but the oven doesn't use gas. If you smell it when the oven is on but not when its off then it cant be gas. All ovens create a smell when they are new. You basically need to burn the newness off of them. I recommend turning the oven onto 500 degrees to help season the insulation and burn that newness off. If you call jenn air and mention you think your oven is a safety hazard they will send a tech out to check it out for free.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah it's weird. We have been using it for a year and it is only recently that we have had the smell when the oven is on or when a burner is on, same smell. Never smell it when everything is off. Maybe we will have to have Jennair come out a take a look (smell). It is a very chemically smell, not like burnt food or anything. I am also wondering if it only happens when the wind is blowing a certain direction, i.e. backing up the downdraft exhaust?

Have you ran self clean on an oven before. When an oven is in self clean a lot of people complain about a chemical smell. Is that what it kind of smells like?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have not done that, it has not been used that much and it appears quite clean.

Ok if you haven't used it much I would try turning the oven on to 500 degrees for an hour and see if the smell goes away.