Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

We have a Maytag portable Dishwasher - Maytag Jetclean Model

Customer Question

We have a Maytag portable Dishwasher - Maytag Jetclean Model MDC5100AWW.

Two questions:

Of late we have been losing cutlery. Either someone is stealing or it has fallen through the broken cutlery basket and found its way to someplace below the water jets. It sounds highly unlikely that it could have fallen below the floor of the machine, however we want to consider all options before accusing someone of stealing. Is it possible?

When we got a new faucet set several years ago we had difficulty adapting the dishwasher to the faucet because there was a lot of leakage. We got a part from the hardware store that helped, but it still leaks. Is there a better solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. The filters on the base will prevent any silverware from entering the pump. There is no possible way it could have got under the pump. You can take the pump apart and look if you would like. Remove the lower spray arms and then remove all the screws in the filters an lift then out.

Some times it helps to put to of the rubber washer on the hose where it connects to the sink.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to wait until I have tried the rubber ring to rate this answer. If it works, my rating will be high.

Bob Katz

Ok. Thats about the only thing you can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The rubber ring that fits a hose didn't fit the dishwasher slot (I tried a few before and forgot to mention). I'll see if I can get a smaller one.

Yes you will need a smaller one for sure. They should sell one at a hardware store.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate that I got a rapid answer. I went to the hardware store and bought an assortment of washers. There was no room for them so they didn't help.

Bob Katz

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Bob Do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If as you said "Thats about the only thing you can do," then thank you for the suggestion.

Bob Katz

Bob I`m a differant expert !!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you think the earlier expert missed something, I would be interested to know if there are additional options. If he or she was correct, there is nothing I can do about the problem.

Bob Katz

the first thing I need to know to better assist you is .

Where is it leaking from ?

the threads where it screws onto the faucet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When we got a new faucet set several years ago we had difficulty adapting the dishwasher to the faucet because there was a lot of leakage between the tap and the connection to the dishwasher hose. This had not been the case with our previous faucet.

The hardware store sold me two metal adapters (they suggested I try both a 'long' and a 'short' adapter). The long adapter reduced the leakage, but it did not eliminate it.

There is significant leakage between the dishwasher hose and the adapter. Most of the water gets through the hose, so we are able to wash dishes, but we waste a lot of hot water. This is an especial problem if we want to run the dishwasher when we are not home or sleeping, since the leakage continues until we turn off the water.

Bob Katz

Have you put any teflon tape on the threads to stop the leaking ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't. The connection snaps shut; there are no threads.

Bob

o it is not leaking at the fitting that is atached to the faucet .

it is leaking between the faucett connection and the dishwasher connection .

Try replacing the adapter is about the only other thing you can do .

CLICK HERE for part info

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good! It is the first hopeful sign since the problem began. I will get the part and let you know if it works.

Bob Katz

no problem at all