Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a whirlpool model WTW4950XW0 and when I turn on the

I have a whirlpool model WTW4950XW0 and when I turn on the start button the sensing light and the lock light comes on. After a couple of seconds the lock light flashes a couple of times then turns off. The sensing light stays on and the washer does not start. Any ideas what the issue might be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

See what error is coming up

. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push start and now the error code is displayed.

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LEDs in one-second intervals. All fault/error codes have an F# XXXXX an E#. The F# indicates “Type of Fault” and the E# XXXXX “Component system where fault is located.”
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the steps to identify the error code. Currently what is flashing are sensing, wash, rinse, spin and done lights. What does that mean?

Take the console back panel off and there is a sheet inside there to tell you exactly what the error code is I am not seeing that code, but your model is slightly different check it out. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the back panel, there was no sheet inside listing error codes. What else can I try to fix and/or identify the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my response sent at 8:15 EST? Is our session over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
lack of technician response to my responses
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Ok when you went into diagnostics you said sensing, wash, rinse, spin and done lights are flashing. Once those lights are flashing turn the knob one click to the right what lights are flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no solution at this time. I have received feedback, but again with no solution. Assistance was provided in the beginning, but it seems like the technician gave up and never responded back.

I am a different tech and willing to help. It sounds like you are able to get this washer into diagnostics. Once all the lights are flashing under the knob turn the knob so only the done light is flashing. Then press start.

Once you pres start the washer will flash error codes. It will flash pause then flash. Once you write down the error code turn the knob one click. then write down the next error code. Keep turning the knob until the error codes start to repeat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After following the directions sent, this is what lights up when turning the knob; sensor light lit up on 4 consecutive turns of the knob. on the 5th turn, sensing, wash, rinse, spin and done flash. I continued turning the knob and the pattern is 4 turns its sensing that flashes and on the 5th turn of the knob its all cycle status lights flashing.

Pull the washer forward about 2 feet then tip the washer back against the wall. Look under the washer you will see a belt guard held on with 2 screws. Remove the belt guard. Make sure that the nut is tight on the middle pulley. If that is ok then you need to replace the red shift actuator on the right of the pulley. The error code means that the washer tub cant reach target speed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the middle (large) pulley nut was tight. Is the red shift actuator also called synchronous motor? If not, can you provide additional details of what the red shift actuator looks like so I can determine the part number for ordering? thanks

You can order the part from this link. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By replacing this part, it will correct the issue where the lid lock will not stay engaged and washer not run? Also, is this something I can replace myself? I am fairly handy, but want to ensure I am not biting off more than I can chew. thanks.

Yes this will fix your washer. This is the most common problem with this washer. If you can check the nut then you can replace this. It is just held on with 2 Phillips screws. Remove the 2 screws and then unplug the electrical connector.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years