Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a Maytag dishwasher. The problem were having is that

I have a Maytag dishwasher. The problem we're having is that the water gets into the washer tub, but it does not circulate during the cycle. We were able to observe the wash cycle by tricking the close mechanism, and saw that the pressure would slowly build, causing the lower arm to spin one time, spewing the water, then it would lose pressure and then attempt to start over.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Open the door and remove the lower rack. Then unscrew the nut on the top of the spray arm. Remove the spray arm. Then remove the 6 screws in the pump housing. Lift up the pump housing. Now you will see the round black impeller. Remove the impeller. Is the shaft the impeller is screwed to plastic or metal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The shaft is plastic.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. We were wrong. The shaft is metal. What next?

If the shaft is metal then you have a bad wash motor and will need to replace it. I would recommend just replacing the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We see that part runs around $200 average. My husband can install it for free. The cost of a new dishwasher is around 500-700. Why would you suggest buying new? The dishwasher is about 5 years old. Can we expect other things to go bad, too?

This model has a couple know problems. The door latch breaks and the control panel fails. Just because you replace the motor doesn't give you a new dishwasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Thanks for your advice.