Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a whirlpool gas oven (WFG371LVQ-1) that wont light

I have a whirlpool gas oven (WFG371LVQ-1) that won't light on the bake setting. It will spark but not light. No gas smell is evident.

It will light the top burner on the broil setting.

I tried disconnecting the electrical plug to try and reset the computer but the clock stayed set on the time that was on the clock when I unplugged it 45 minutes earlier.

The stove is two years old and a local repairman said that he does not have the diagnostic equipment to isolate the problem without having to buy 2-3-4 different parts that might not be the problem. What do you suggest I try first?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

First you will need to remove the bottom panel from inside the oven. Then turn the oven onto bake and see if you can see the igniter spark to the burner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The igniter sparks but it will not light.

If you turn the oven onto bake and try to light the burner with a bbq grill lighter will it light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. The top burner lights on broil within one "snap" of the spark lighter... the bottom burner will not light after it sparks three times. It will continue to try about 30-60 seconds later but it will not light by any method.

Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I tried disconnecting the power supply but that did not reset anything.

With out a meter we cant test for sure but I would replace the gas safety valve on the back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it seem normal for one burner to work (on a seldom used oven) while the other burner does not? And is there a separate gas safety valve for each burner? Thanks!!

The safety valve is one part. The valve is for the oven function. It has 2 solenoids built into the one part. The bake solenoid could stop working while the broil solenoid still works.