Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

imperial refrigerator runs frequently and then the (compressor?)

imperial refrigerator runs frequently and then the (compressor?) makes a loud clunk when shutting off... is there an easy fix for this?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

If the compressor is making a clunk when it shuts off this means the piston has play in it. If the piston has play in it i wont pump the freon correctly and will cause it to run a lot more. This is not an easy fix. This will require a tech to replace the compressor. The repair will cost more then 700 dollars.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am pretty handy with general household repairs. Is it possible to buy a new compressor and do it myself or does one need special tools for dealing with the freon, etc?

This requires special tools. This isn't a do it yourself repair.