Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a Kenmore Elite range model number 790.46613500 and

I have a Kenmore Elite range model number 790.46613500 and the oven will not heat. The broil and bake elements just get slightly warm, but not hot. The resistance of both elements seems reasonable and they do not appear damaged. Thinking the problem was likely a thermal cutout, safety thermostat, or the temp. probe, I replaced part numbers XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXX but no improvement. What else should I try? Are the thermal cutout and safety thermostats supposed to be normally open or normally closed?
Thank you,
Jeff
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

The fuses should be normally closed. Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, i have a multimeter and can do basic electrical diagnostics. When you say "fuses" are you referring to the thermal cutout and the safety thermostats? One of the safety thermostats is open, but the new one I replaced it with is open also. Could I have just gotten a bad new part?

Thanks,

The easy thing you can do is to turn the oven on and test for 240 volts fat the control board going to the element. If you turn the oven on to bake. test the L2 to bake wire and you should have 240 volts. If you dont you have a bad control board. Also make sure the oven has 240 volts where the cord connects to the range.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tested for 240 volts between L2 and the Bake wire on the control board and got about 12 volts. Same for broil with oven broil on. Could it be anything else besides the control board? It is an expensive part and I need to make sure that's it before I order. Can you verify which control board? Is it the one with the L2, bake, broil, etc. contacts under the push button panel? Can you give me the part number of what I need to order. This control panel has gone out once before a few years ago. Is this common?

Thanks,

Did you verify that the range has 220 volts where the cord connects to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I did. Everything good there.

Then you have a bad control board for sure. The control board is the part under the buttons. You can order the part from this link. CLICK HERE. Control boards are the most common failure on all new appliances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are two different items listed as oven control boards. Which one is it?

Thanks

Its this one. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I will order and install. Any tricks, or just mount and plug in?

Thanks for the help!

The only trick might be to take a picture of the old board before disconnecting any wires so you can look at it when you put it back together.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years