stephenmichaelz
stephenmichaelz, Customer Care
Experience:  Appliance Technician
67810957

hello. i have a kenmore elite double wall oven(NNN) NNN-NNNN The

hello. i have a kenmore elite double wall oven(NNN) NNN-NNNN The oven heats up to temperature (confirmed by using a thermometer) but does not call for heat when the tempeture drops. The digital readout shows no temperature change, even after opening the oven door an dropping the temperature by 50 degrees.

This situation only occurs on the top oven (receives the most use).

Steps to correct: I performed an impedance check on the heat sensor that appeared in range. I then replaced the electronic circuit board with the digital readout - to no effect. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 1 year ago.

Repairman1981 :

Have you measured the temp sensor WHEN IT'S HOT?

Repairman1981 :

Usually when I see this and it's not the board (I would have done exactly as you if the sensor was around 1500 ohms at room temp) Then the sensor or wire between is all it can be

Repairman1981 :

You have a board that sends power and a sensor that turns temp into resistance for the board to interpret .... only 2 things that regulate temp

Repairman1981 :

Sensors can be off with temp not just at room temp ... and wires can be broken when heated but touch when cool (metal expands and contracts) I have even seen wires melted to the cabinet before cause this

Customer:

hello, just got back from church. i did not check the impendance at temperature, only at room temp. when i removed the sensor, i pulled the wire about 12 inches to make sure it was intact. what do you suggest?

Repairman1981 :

The only issue is being a double wall oven it's pretty hard to pull .... since you have checked the sensor at room temp and without pulling it you can't check it heated up. So I might would recommend just swapping the sensor (it's the most likely culprit) and then if that doesn't work. Change the board

Repairman1981 :

I know it's a bit of a costly route ... but unless you can pull the oven to test it's the best way. If this were a slide in range I would have you pull it and check the sensor.

Repairman1981 :

Look at it this way ... if it's the board your only wasting a sensor .... if it's the sensor .... it's still a cheap repair ...... If this were my oven and I didn't have an oven dolly to allow me to pull it by myself it's how I would proceed.

Customer:

Thanks. Is there a possibility that it is a problem in the relay board?

Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you. Still waiting on an answer and I travel frequently without access to this email account.

The specific repairs that i have performed are to replace the heat sensor and the oven control board (part #316576302). The oven still has the exact issue as described above - it can reach the desired temperature without a problem, but when the oven door opens or as the oven naturally cools, something is preventing the oven from calling for heat and restoring the desired temperature. This can be over-ridden by re-engaging the heat cycle - depressing the "bake" button followed by depressing the "start" button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Gina.

Expert:  stephenmichaelz replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im Steve,Thank you for choosing JA.this unit was made for sears by electrolux it has an element that assists the heat where the convection fan motor is and i have seen these symptoms caused by a bad element or connection on the element, as the other tech said it could be the probe also and because its the same part in the lower unit you can swap them and see if that works but if the symptoms are, when it is in preheat mode it seems to work properly but when it shifts to cycling it fails. try ohming out all the elements,bake broil and convection. on the one i had do this it was the convection element. if your not sure how to get to it you can view a breakdown @ partsdirect dot com by the way that model # XXXXX XXXXX it must have come from the booklet. you need the full # XXXXX get the correct parts usually you can wiggle the element forward after removing the screws being gentle not to disconnect the wires as you pull it forward. disconnect the power first via the double breaker and you probably will only be able to do this with the bake and broil elements the convection element will probably only be accessed from the back. let me know if you need more info. thank you and good luck! btw when an element goes it usually gets a hole or blister that is visible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks stephenmichaelz. You are 100% in that the oven is fine in preheat mode but fails during cycling. I think what you are suggesting is to check the impedance on the heating elements: bake, broil, and convection. You provided an example where you encountered an oven that had the same symptoms. In that instance, it was the convection element that was the culprit. It sounds like you think this could be either the convection element, the bake element, or the broil element.

Here is what I found for part numbers on the convection element: convection element (316415800), kit (316415800)

yes that is what i suspect but dont just replace them theyre not hard to check,if you put the meter on ohms it should read close to 0 (or have continuity however you want to describe it.) in the oven cavity there is usually phillips head screws holding them in, after you kill the power and take the screws out you should have enough slack in the wires to pull it toward you GENTLY so as to not disconnect the spade connections and lose the wire back there. If you loose the wires you will have to pull the oven out to reconnect it. there is power to one of those leads with the unit off so PLEASE kill the power 1st. on the preheat cycle it probably doesnt use the temp probe either so exchange the one with the bottom oven first to rule that out. if the problem stays the same you can leave them swapped they are the same parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I will check it out. As I noted, I already replaced the heat sensor and the circuit board. The convection element is circular (i have attached an image to confirm that this is the part to which you are referring). part number 121 is listed as the "convection element".

Based upon your message, the impedance should read "zero" having no resistance?

yes i thought you only tested the sensor,sorry!
do the bake element 1st if its not visible it is under a plate at the bottom,i have a funny feeling its that one,look at it is there a hole near the back or a blister?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help and patience thus far.

I cannot physically look at it until Friday, as I am out of town. It is a covered bake element. Once I expose the element, will the hole or a blister be near one of the contact points on the element?

usually yes but not always. good luck
stephenmichaelz, Customer Care
Experience: Appliance Technician
thank you for the great rating!!!! i hoped i helped!