Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

My older electric oven will not regulate temp.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 1 year ago.

Repairman1981 :

when you say will not regulate temp can you elaborate? Sounds like your pretty technology savvy if you have replaced sendsor and ohmed the element. Thanks!

Customer:

I am a certified hvac tech for 11 years. If I set the oven to say 400, it will get up to 400 degrees, shut off and then not turn itself back on to maintain temp.

Repairman1981 :

Can you provide the model number so I can see what we're working on?

Repairman1981 :

also how old is it? and when you replaced the sensor did you splice it or did it just plug in?

Customer:

I can, but just to inform you, it is 30 plus years old. I had to splice it...factory wire nuts

Repairman1981 :

ok ..do you have a model .... 30 years would be around 1983

Customer:

Model # J439C1AV

Repairman1981 :

they did have board models back then .... they were basic but I'm trying to figure out if you have a board (splicing a sensor you likely do)

Repairman1981 :

ok with the age everything I'm pulling up is related to your cooktop other than the elements .... so I'm gonna ask do you have a digitial clock and push a button to start cooking or do you turn a knob?

Customer:

I have to turn a knob

Repairman1981 :

ok give me a min

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Full Size Image

Repairman1981 :

Good news bad news .... this is a easy diagnosis. Your model is right as they were starting to come out with boards but it's not a control board. The piece you have called a oven responder on the wiring diagram is the ONLY thing that can be causing what you have going on. It's similar to a relay (you should know what these do from hvac) and they interpret the sensors resistance and open/close the power to the elements.

Repairman1981 :

The only other thing in the circuit related to temp is the sensor (you have changed) and the oven selector( it's a contact that selects bake broil etc) so if it heats in the first place the oven responder is all it can be once you have ruled out/replaced the sensor

Repairman1981 :

The bad news .... I'm pretty sure GE discontinued these around 1998 or 1999

Customer:

crap...that's what i was worried about

Repairman1981 :

So finding one will be pretty hard ... lemme do a little distributor checking .... I don't have the exact part number for you but if I can find any of them available we can probably get the right part number for yours off it

Customer:

a new oven this size runs about 1200.00 so thats where I am stuck

Customer:

cool thank you

Repairman1981 :

nope .... marcone, repairclinic and sears all don't have any parts available for a responder .... I will tell you even a mid 1990s ge control board is becoming discontinued

Repairman1981 :

Some are still available but more and more they are phasing them out ..... to put it in HVAC terms your oven control is like r22 .... they want you using r410 so they raise the price more and more then phase it out

Customer:

Ok, yeah I see this kind of thing in hvac

Repairman1981 :

Your the (whatever was before r22) and the board from the 1990s is r22 .... and the new energy efficient boards are r410

Customer:

r12 was before 22

Customer:

ok, bummer

Repairman1981 :

Yours is long gone .... the boards from the 1990s are starting to go and getting pricey for what's available .... and the new stuff is easy to get

Repairman1981 :

really you used 12 in HVAC? Wow so that must have made refrigeration in the 60s easy ... just do both

Customer:

so I guess I need to look into replacing the oven.

Repairman1981 :

:) I thought R12 was just for fridges .... I just do refrigeration .... never even took an HVAC class just know enough to be dangerous on that

Customer:

totally...the government should keep their nose out of regulating it

Repairman1981 :

I would .... you could always get into rewiring the whole oven and putting a board on but you will spend way to much doing that to keep an avocado green oven in my opinion.

Repairman1981 :

If money isn't an object and you want the retro look maybe .... but I would just bite the bullet and replace

Customer:

I'm poor. Being a woman in this business has been tough I hate to say...so having a job that pays more then 20.00 bucks an hour in Northern IL has been tough...its expensive to live up here so you gotta make more. I've been getting by, by doing side jobs and fixing my own stuff the best I can.

Customer:

I'd like to get a oven that size to fit in the space, without changing the counter...they run between 1200 and 1500 here.

Customer:

so that's why I wanted to try and fix it.

Repairman1981 :

So that was your fingernails in the pic CONGRATS for being a woman in the industry

Customer:

Would love to learn refrigeration to add to the hvac, would make me worth a lot more

Customer:

Yeah...what can I say, I'm still girly

Repairman1981 :

If you KNOW HVAC and aren't just a part swapper refrigeration is pretty easy in comparison ....

Repairman1981 :

but that's like you telling me hvac is easy .... 2 different things with refrigerant in common

Repairman1981 :

That all being said .... get on craigslist or check a used appliance store ... yours is just a 42" stove maybe 36 can't tell from the pic for sure ... it's just not a cheap 30"

Repairman1981 :

You can get one .... I see them all the time ... and best part because they are kitchen specific most sellers dump them cheap after they haven't sold for a while

Customer:

I think I could do it no problem, just can't find a school around that I can only do refrigeration without have to take hvac again.

Repairman1981 :

BE SURE YOU CHECK IT FULLY BEFORE YOU BUY USED .... a warranty off craigslist is worthless

Repairman1981 :

You just need to get a couple free fridges off craigslist and a book ... brazing is the same ....

Repairman1981 :

I learned the basics at my last job and when I started working for myself I had to learn on the fly (that first customers job was scary) but I have completed well over 50 with only 1 call back and it was just a bad solder joint .... SO get a book and something to practice on

Repairman1981 :

It's easier than HVAC because it's just a cap tube system

Customer:

its a 42" ok, well thanks so much for your help...I'll just have to try and find one.

Repairman1981 :

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9868.0 just incase you care to learn the trade .... the money is in commercial refrigeration and it's almost identical to HVAC

Customer:

I have been practicing on my neighbors and family...they always call me first to work on their appliances...it's all relative to what I do. This old oven was the first that I've seen of this generation...and it's where experience could have helped me.

Repairman1981 :

ohhh and sign up at those forums, they are awesome people they will help you out if you decide to try learning ..... this is a great place for case by case but you won't wanna pay by the question to learn a trade :)

Repairman1981 :

Well have a great rest of the day and lemme know if you need anything else on this

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Customer:

I will do that! Thank you so much for you help. You've been great! I'm going to go their right now and sign up...cool thanks.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands