Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a GE profile performance refrigerator, Culligan water

Customer Question

I have a GE profile performance refrigerator, Culligan water and the ice maker is not working properly. I have tried a number of things.
turned off refrigerator and reset ice bar
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Does the ice maker make ice but not dispense it? What do you mean by not working properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no ice is being made. I can get water

If you try to dispense ice do you hear the auger motor turning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hear something moving, but there is no ice in the bin.

I have an errand to run. Will need to continue in about an hour. I hope this is satisfactory.

Yes just reply back to me when you have a minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I placed ice into to bin to see if the "auger" motor is operational. It did dispense the ice from the bin. I forgot to mention that I had already changed the filter. The ice bar does occasionally raise, but no ice.

I managed to burn my finger on piece of metal under the ice forming tray the other day.

Is that too much information

Ok if the bar is moving then moat likely the ice maker is good. Most likely the fill tube for the ice maker is frozen. You will need to pull the fridge forward and remove the lower back panel. Then disconnect the hose that goes to the ice maker from the valve. Try to blow through the hose. If you can blow through the hose then the fill tube is frozen in where it runs into the freezer.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already unplugged the machine for several hours yesterday.

If the fill tube is frozen, how do I defrost the frozen area. Can I use hair dryer?

You can use a hare dryer or squirt hot water don the hose until it flows through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A little confused here. You said if I can blow through the hose then it's frozen? And if i cannot blow, then what?

Sorry. if you can not blow through the line it is frozen. If you can blow through it then you have a bad water valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the kids have been keeping me busy.

Question: How do I go about disconnecting the hose?

Cut the line? Un-couple the connection?

Will I need I need new coupling? Or will I be able to re attach

I am asking all these questions, as I am going to be the DIY gal here.

Is there a diagram for me to follow?

Here is a video that will help. Click here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the video.

Will get back to you!

Your welcome. Let me know if you have any problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally managed to extract the tubing from the water intake valve.

Blew air into hose. no blockage.

Turned the refrigerator back on and reset the ice pump handle.

Got at least 1 quart of water from the dispenser, so I know there is water available.

Waiting the proscribed 24 hours for ice production.

If this doesn't work, I guess I will be ordering a new water intake valve?

Yes?

Yes if this doesn't work then you will need to replace the water valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully this will be my last questions. Which part should I be ordering?

GE Refrigerator Icemaker Ice Maker & Water Valve WR57X100244

or the

GE Part Number WR57X10024 WATER VALVE ASSY

There the same part number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know they are the same part number. That is why I am confused. Perhaps this will help. These are web pages for the two items that have pictures of the parts in question.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=WR57X10024

http://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Icemaker-Maker-Water-WR57X10024/dp/B002ZNNDWM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360341096&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=GE+mfg+part+%23+WR57X10024

I guess I'm lost. The parts on the links are the same part with the same part number. Yes that is the part you need you can order it from one of those links
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you look at the images?

One says ice maker and water valve.

the other says water valve assembly.

If you look at this website, these items are also listed at different prices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GE+mfg+part+%23+WR57X10024

There the same part the sites just call the different things and charge different prices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased the water valve part number, replaced the part and the ice maker is still not working.

Should I consider purchasing the icemaker kit Part Number: WR30X10093.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just tried an experiment with the icemaker. I poured some water into the well and behold, ice was made.

Would the replacement of icemaker kit resolve my issue of not being able to get water into the icemaker?

What do I need?

Make sure the hose isn't clogged from the ice maker to the water valve. If that is clear then yes I would replace The ice maker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked the hose.

Replaced the ice maker.

Now what?

Still not making ice.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Let me review the previous post and see if I can help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve my issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If the fill tube is clear, icemaker has been replaced, and you replaced valve #wr57x10024.....then you will need to replace the other valve, WR57X10023 cost about $39. Both valves have to energize correctly to get water at door, and or icemaker. Check you connections at the valve, to make sure they are good and connected.....if so replace this valve and it should start working for you. Please give me a great rating if you find this information helpful. You can respond back if you need for further information....Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before making another purchase, we just checked triple checked to if all tubes are clear. And they are.

Going to wait another 24 hours to see if we make any ice before another co$t.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Understand.....thnks