Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. The temperature

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. The temperature in the freezer is OK but the refrigerator is only about 63 degrees. The door shuts tight. I've tried dusting the coils and adjusting the coldness control up to 5 from 4. The fan motor runs constantly. I do not hear the compressor running much if at all. Please advise. Appliance is only about five years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello, is there any frost on the back wall of the freezer section ? do you hear a fan running in the freezer?thx

Customer:

No frost on the back wall of the freezer section. I do hear a fan running in the freezer.

Randy 43 :

is the freezer freezing solid?

Customer:

Yes. So far!

Randy 43 :

the fridge only receives air from the freezer by the fan, your sure there isnt a thin coating of frost on the rear panel of freezer? sometimes its hard to see

Customer:

Yes, on second look there is some on the rear panel near the top.

Randy 43 :

just on the panel or any on the ceiling or the rails ?

Customer:

Some frost on the light fixture and on the top basket rail and on the rear panel. Freezer too crowded?

Randy 43 :

that is from air getting in if it is on the rails and ceiling , what has happened is that air has gotten in and blocked the air channels up to the fridge , yes it can be from too much food preventing door from closing properly ..those air channels need to be thawed out and then the air will be free to get to the top section..if you can thaw out the fridge for 24 hours it should be clear

Randy 43 :

then make sure door seals all the way around

Randy 43 :

if the frost is strictly on the rear panel then it is a defrost issue but if on rails .ceilings ,and light fixture ,its from air getting in

Customer:

I'll give that a try. Thanks. Better this than compressor failure!

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You. I think we are done.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
.