Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a Bosch dishwasher that will not drain. I have watched

I have a Bosch dishwasher that will not drain. I have watched the youtube video, and have done the required inspection and everything appears clear. but the machine still won't drain
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Do you hear the drain pump humming when you cancel the cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The dishwasher is very quiet, but I don't hear it. I can tell it is not pumping because I don't hear the water in the air gap. Should the impeller be free spinning when turned?

When you turn the impeller by hand it will have resistance and then cam over. Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Ok you will need to access the drain pump. Then start the dishwasher on a drain cycle and see if the dishwasher has 120 volts ac. Here is a video that will show you how to access the drain pump. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, so I can check with the multimeter if there is 120 V at the pump motor when it is in the drain cycle?

Yes that is the next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, that may take 15 min or so, I have to start the dishwasher on rinse and hold and wait about 9 min for it to pump out. can I shut the water off to the dishwasher so that it doesn't take in any water so I can leave the fill hose off per the video?

How many buttons does your dishwasher have on the right side of the control panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is electronic. It has the the on/off, menu, + - Start

Do you now the model number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is a SHE99C05UC

Canceling a Cycle Be careful of splash-out. *To cancel a cycle already in process, open the door only far enough to expose the control panel, the display will show: • "Close the door" • Approximate remaining cycle time • The current cycle • The cycle phase • "Cancel Program" Press the – button. The display will show "To cancel, close the door". The dishwasher will then drain the remaining water and shut off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the water out of the sump. I used a wet/dry vacuum to evacuate the water. When I run a cycle, can I turn the water off so it doesn't take any in? The video said to remove the inlet hose, and If I remove that, I think the water will come back out making a mess.

Also, I have two of these dishwashers in my kitchen. Same model. Should I take the pump off the one that is working and replace it with the suspected bad one to see if that works?

You can try swapping the pumps for sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, let me try that, I will be back in a bit

ok. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I put the pump from the second machine onto the one that was not working and it appears to be working now, I pumped a little water in then cancelled the cycle and pumped it out. There was no water left in the bottom of the machine

Ok then you will need to replace the drain pump. You can order the part from this link. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, that didn't fix it. I let it fill up completely on a rinse and hold and when I cancelled the cycle, it still didn't empty even though I could feel the pump running. It would run for 10-15 sec, stop, do the same again and stop and then it finished the cycle and there is standing water in the dishwasher

Does this dishwasher run into a disposal of a stand pump under the sink?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

an air gap then to disposal

Pull the hose off the are gap that comes from the disposal and put it in a bucket. Then cancel the cycle and see if it drains into the bucket.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years