gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

The washing machine made has been making a loud squeaking noise

The washing machine made has been making a loud squeaking noise when in spin cycle, now it just stopped. Wouldn't drain. I took it all apart and though the Tub bearing might have been the problem, but after I started to mess with it a bit it seems that the brake might be engaged when it isn't supposed to be. I turned the tub rotator on the bottom of machine counterclockwise, which released the brake then the tub would spin...leading me to believe there is nothing wrong with the bearing. I also completely cleaned the drain pump, which I don't believe to be the problem. I need a little more insight, and I can't seem to find the repair manual. Help please.

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service.

could you post the model number please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oops sorry, the model number is XXXXX

No problem at all. so based on your problem this sounds like your (brake stator) is bad. what you can do for now is spray some wd40 on assembly to get rid of the noise, that will help reduce the noise. if you'd like i can provide you with the part number, just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the brake stator is what I was planning to remove to get to the tub bearing, but it said it was spring loaded and to refer to repair manual for removal. One or two screws were a little loose, could that have been the problem. I'm a little hesitant to put it all back together because when it stopped, it didn't finish draining and there was an electrical burning smell. It looks as if something was binding, because there was alot of burned rubber from the belt on the underside.

The burning odor that you got was the brake assembly that was stuck. spray a bit of WD40 on the brake assembly that will should take care of the problem, or you can replace it. here is the part number.Washing machine brake stator

here is the part Number 35-6918. you can get it online at please reply if you have any other questions.

If i have been helpful and if you have no further questions, please leave a positive rating before you go. if you do not intend to leave a positive rating please do not rate me at all. thanks again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had to step away for a bit. I oiled the brake and put it all back together again, but still no luck. When I placed it in spin mode it simply hummed. I can turn the drum by hand. I had a sneaking suspicion that the motor might have been bad, so I took the belt off and tried again...only humming again. If the Motor doesn't have a sensor that detects when no load is on I suspect the Motor is bad. I wanted a second opinion before I drained another $120 on a motor.

No problem, just a few minutes please.
If the motor is humming when with the belt off then your motor is bad. now the motor is $122.00. which is more than what the actual machine is worth, but of course you would have to decide on whether you'd like to replace it or not. if you have any other questions please reply, if you do not then please rate me. thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Excellent service! I replaced the motor and all works just fine. I think at some point I might have to address the stator brake as a small squeaking is occuring sometimes during the agitation cycle. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome, i am glad i was able to help you.