gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

I have a hotpoint dryer and want to switch out the igniter.

Customer Question

I have a hotpoint dryer and want to switch out the igniter. What are the steps to take from taking panels and drum etc. Model number is XXXXX Want to switch the old igniter to the new one I got thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service.

i see that the model number calls for a (whirlpool) dryer, is that what you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says hotpoint but that is the exact same model number

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay based on the model number this calls for a whirlpool which is not a problem. please allow me a few minutes to post a few easy instructions and also a diagram that is also very easy to follow.
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, here is what you need to do, Remove the screws from the small access panel at the front of the dryer. Pull out the access panel. the go ahead and

• Turn the gas valve at the back of the unit to the "off" position to stop the flow of gas. after that

• Unscrew the nut holding the burner system to the gas valve inside the dryer. Remove the two screws holding the burner assembly inside the unit. Pull the burner system out.

Pull on the igniter connector to remove it from the burner assembly. Plug in the new igniter and replace the burner assembly. that is all that needs to be done to replace it. i did not post the diagram only because the model number that you have posted calls for a whirlpool model which is not the same at all. if i have been helpful and if you have no further questions, please leave a positive rating before you go so that i may receive credit. thank you.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
    Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so I got home and saw that it's the whirlpool duet. If you are able to show me an instructional video of some type, I will leave a generous tip thank u

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
    I knew that something was not right Smile. i sure will please give me about 5 minutes and i will have that info for you.
    Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you waiting. here is the instructions that are very simple to follow.

the first thing you need to do is

Go to the front of the dryer, and insert a flathead screwdriver between the toe panel and the front panel. Push the screwdriver handle up to pry the top of the toe panel away from the dryer. Move the toe panel away from the work area.

then

Disconnect the wiring harness that connects to the flame sensor on the burner can. The harness will pull apart with your fingers. Remove the wiring harness from the burner connector on the base of the dryer below the burner.

after that

Remove the two screws that secure the burner assembly bracket to the base of the dryer with a socket wrench. The burner assembly fits inside the burner tube, and the mounting bracket is in front of the burner tube.

then

Push the burner assembly forward to release the assembly from the bottom tabs. Pull the burner assembly out of the dryer. go ahead and

Disconnect the wire connector from the burner assembly to the igniter with your fingers. The igniter mounts to the front of the burner assembly. Remove the screw securing the igniter to the burner assembly with a Phillips-head screwdriver.

here us a diagram that will also help you just in case you run into any confusions.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I installed the new igniter and where it belongs glows orange and then goes dark. Is that normal. Dryer is completely cold

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
    Okay, after the first time it ignites, does it reignite itself?
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes stays on for about 10. Seconds then stays dark for 57 seconds then lights again

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Okaym that sounds like the coils on the gas valve are faulty, which will cause this problem, i would suggest that you replace them.

first remove the vent off the exhaust housing, then run a cycle for about 10 minutes, tell me if it continues to do the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is gas valve located

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
    If you take a look at the diagram they are going to be number 13 & 14

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where can I purchase 13 and 14 and how much on average

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Here is the part number and you can get them online for $18.30. part Number 279834. www.repair clinic.com

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here