Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a GE profile side by side refrigerator. It was installed

I have a GE profile side by side refrigerator. It was installed in my condo when the building was built in 1998. I have had no problems with it. I intend to gut my kitchen and replace all of the appliances within the next 6-8 months. There have been several incidents of the water line of the refrigerator leaking in other units in my building. Because the leaks arevery slow...they have caused mold and/or substantial damage before they have been identified. Is there a way to tell if my refrigerator is ok? My maintenance man said it has been a PVC tube that has cracked due to age in these other units. Two have occurred very recently - I am worried that mine might go before I get my kitchen redone. Any opinions?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The heat from the compressor is what causes that problem. What you can do to check yours is pull the refrigerator out. Turn off the ice maker. Follow the water line from the refrigerator to the supply valve and turn it off. Then follow the water line to the back of the refrigerator. You are going to want to access the part on your refrigerator where that water line connects so remove the lower rear cover.

Behind that cover you will see some plastic water lines, do not bend these double but bend them back and forth. If the plastic line has dry rotted from the heat it will snap right apart. Its very obvious you will not miss it.

If that line breaks the sections under the refrigerator need to be replaced.

Please ask if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Barry. I am a novice. Is it self explanatory how to turn off the ice maker and the water supply valve? What does removing the lower rear cover involve? A screwdriver? Sorry - I am a novice. I dont want to break anything.

Your fine Cindy ask all the questions you need to ask. I will have to run out for 30 minutes here in just a bit but after that I will be here for about 4 more hours.

You will need something to remove 1/4 or 5/16 inch screws. Nutdriver will work or a socket. And maybe a phillips screwdriver.

Most GE refrigerator ice makers will have a switch. If you push the switch to O it will be off.

If your ice maker does not have a switch there will be a small wire arm that will lift and lock. That will be off.

Again if you get stuck or have questions please ask,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One quick question if you are still there - is the switch for the ice maker inside? If so I have a wire arm.

Yes give me just one minute Cindy, I have a picture.

Take a look at the picture below. There is a pink arrow. The switch if you have one will be just like the switch above the pink arrow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see what you are pointing to - this obviously appears like the container that holds the ice cubes has been removed. Am I correct? The wire arm I have is in the up position (ie does not make ice) when the container if full of ice. Is that something entirely different?

No you have it correct up is off, that is the wire arm I am meaning. And yes in the picture I did pull out the ice bin to take it.

I will be heading out in about 10 minutes just so you know when I will be back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi- sorry I took so long- I was out last night and this morning. Ok I pulled out the refrigerator. There is a PVC tube running up the outside of the back of the refrigerator. It appears to be in good shape. I tried to remove bottom back cover- ok it is made out of cardboard? How cheap is that. Anyway- i only removed a couple screws- and peered in there- and it all looks fine. I hope that is enough- I just want it to last. Few more months. Anyway- I pushed the refrigerator back to the wall. There is copper tubing that is coiled in the back- I think it connects to water supply. I pushed the refrigerator back to the wall as far as I could- and the coiled tubing is really compressed. Could that be a problem? Should it be away from the wall a bit to let air circulate? Sorry for endless questions. You ar almost done with me.
Oh Cindy don't worry, that is what I am here for.

You want to make sure the copper tube is not crimped. I keep mine about an inch from the wall.

The cover I will need a model number for. Look in the fresh food section up high on the wall or the ceiling, its on a sticker there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I pulled it out two inches just to be safe. What cover are you talking about? I think I am finished with this project unless you think otherwise.
You wanted to know about the lower rear cover that is made out of cardboard. I can look up the price if you need it with the model number.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah- no I was just being sarcastic about it being cheap. Ok we- are finished. Thanks for your help!
LOL I see, you have a great weekend Cindy and thank you very much for the opportunity to help.