romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control

I have an LG Refridgerator double door freezer on the bottom..

I have an LG Refridgerator double door freezer on the bottom.. lately I have been getting water leaking from the two small vents under the freezer drawer it freezes into a big chunk on the bottom inside under the freezer.. why? and how do i stop this from happening

Hello Sue and thanks for choosing the Appliance category.

• The freezer does an automatic defrost after every 10-12 hours of compressor operation.
  • The melted ice is supposed to go out through a tube that drains to a pan underneath the unit.
  • If you can provide a specific model number, I can give you instructions on unclogging the drain tube at the backside.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX French Door Refridgerator

• Pull the unit away from the wall and remove the back panel to get to the drain pipe assembly.
  • Click here for pictures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a water dispenser on my fridge just an ice maker inside the freezer,, does this matter? also that small drain pipe is on the outside of the back of my fridge..

• It doesn't matter about the water dispenser because the icemaker uses the same piping at the back for clean water for the ice.
  • The tubing/piping you see at the back is for clean water for the icemaker.

• The separate drain tube (and the hot air fan near the compressor/condensor) is hidden behind the steel panel that you see when you move the unit away from the wall.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok from the pictures it looks like a big, complicated job if you don't know what your doing like me... is it?

• If you are not used to taking things apart, this may not be the time to start....

• Basically you have to turn off the water under the sink, disconnect the water line, remove the steel panel, remove the fan/motor assembly and remove/clean the short drain pipe that is sitting above the small plastic drain pan.

• If still blocked click here to see how to remove the grill inside the freezer compartment to pour boiling water into the other end of the drain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I'll see what we can do.. ThanksSmile

You are welcome!

Bookmark this page and come back to this same question if you get stuck.