romr2009
romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control

I have an LG Refridgerator double door freezer on the bottom..

Customer Question

I have an LG Refridgerator double door freezer on the bottom.. lately I have been getting water leaking from the two small vents under the freezer drawer it freezes into a big chunk on the bottom inside under the freezer.. why? and how do i stop this from happening
Category: Appliance
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sue and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Appliance category.

• The freezer does an automatic defrost after every 10-12 hours of compressor operation.
  • The melted ice is supposed to go out through a tube that drains to a pan underneath the unit.
  • If you can provide a specific model number, I can give you instructions on unclogging the drain tube at the backside.

romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX French Door Refridgerator

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.

• Pull the unit away from the wall and remove the back panel to get to the drain pipe assembly.
  • Click here for pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a water dispenser on my fridge just an ice maker inside the freezer,, does this matter? also that small drain pipe is on the outside of the back of my fridge..

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • It doesn't matter about the water dispenser because the icemaker uses the same piping at the back for clean water for the ice.
  • The tubing/piping you see at the back is for clean water for the icemaker.

-----

• The separate drain tube (and the hot air fan near the compressor/condensor) is hidden behind the steel panel that you see when you move the unit away from the wall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok from the pictures it looks like a big, complicated job if you don't know what your doing like me... is it?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • If you are not used to taking things apart, this may not be the time to start....
-----

• Basically you have to turn off the water under the sink, disconnect the water line, remove the steel panel, remove the fan/motor assembly and remove/clean the short drain pipe that is sitting above the small plastic drain pan.

-----

• If still blocked click here to see how to remove the grill inside the freezer compartment to pour boiling water into the other end of the drain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I'll see what we can do.. ThanksSmile

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!

Bookmark this page and come back to this same question if you get stuck.