Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE profile 2 door frig. The settings for both the

I have a GE profile 2 door frig. The settings for both the freezer section and the fridge section were set at 6. All of a sudden 2 days ago things started to freeze in the fridge section. I turned it down to 4 and now 2 but I have not seen a change. I got it second hand 2 years ago and it is probably 4 years old, I am guessing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PSS26GW3RASS

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Richard If you find my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and leave an ok or better rating.

The problem is the fresh food damper will be stuck or broken.

The red arrows in the diagram below indicate the parts that need to be removed and the blue arrow shows the foam housing the damper is in.

Your damper which I have arrowed in the diagram below is stuck in the open position or it is broken. All the air that gets cold in your unit starts in the freezer. The air is then circulated over to the fridge. Once the fridge gets cold enough the damper is supposed to shut. This does not mean the unit shuts off, it will continue to run until the freezer gets to the temperature it is supposed to be. If the damper stays open then that air continues to circulate over to the fridge.

UNPLUG THE UNIT
You will need to remove everything from the fridge including the shelves and drawers. Remove the light cover and fixture. Go to the rear wall and remove the cooling tower on the rear wall. Then you can access the damper. Once get it off see that it opens and closes with your fingers. Or if it is broken.

The damper comes as an entire assembly and cannot be purchased any other way. The part number is XXXXX That is a factory part number you can shop anywhere with.

That will take care of the problem if you have any questions please ask.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.