The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

We experienced an extended power failure of 18 hours during

Customer Question

We experienced an extended power failure of 18 hours during which occurred during a wash cycle of our Maytag high-efficiency front load washer. When electrical service was restored the machine flashes error code E01/F01 and the door is locked. Pressing the Power/Cancel once clears the code, however it reappears when reselecting any start cycle. Unplugging the washer does not resolve the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maytag MHW6000XW, 1 year old.

Okay, thank you. Is the unit less than 1 year old? If not by how much, please.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The unit was purchased at Home Depot in late November 2011, they did not have the washer/dryer in stock and had to order; we took delivery of the set December 23, 2011. I have called Maytag & they offered nothing without serial number. They indicated the SN is behind the door, which is locked. I don't think they will cover this since we did not purchase an extended warranty & the unit is > 1 year old + the fact the problem appears associated with electric service interruption. I have been trying to locate information on the error codes & coming up empty handed - I have called a couple appliance service companies and awaiting return calls, I suspect this will require a service call, possibly replacement of a computer board. Maytag apparrently doesn't want anyone to have information on their appliances as I even tried downloading a Service Manual and these don't seeem to be available for the model we have.

Thank you. Unfortunately you are right about the warranty. If past 1 year they wont do anytthing for you.

Give me a bit to go to the tech site and get you a manual or tech sheet.

This is what the tech sheet says:

A corrupted onboard EEPROM or communication error between the CCU and onboard EEPROM has occurred. One of the main relays is not working properly.

There are tests you can perform to confirm this.

Please click here to download a copy of the tech sheet. Go to page 8 and under the error code see the "possible causes" of this error code. Follow the testing directions to confirm the problem.

As the unit is just over a year old you will have to conrtact your local appliance parts dealer to get a new board. The unit is too new for my regular parts suppliers to have in stock yet.

If you have no more questions in this matter please select a positive rating so I receive credit for helping you today.

Please note that you are rating my service, not the answer or the solution.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot download the tech sheet you sent the link to; I get a screen wanting me to upgrade to IE9, Google Chrome etc. Can you send me a copy of the tech sheet via e-mail to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXXplease?

Just close out that screen. You dont have to upgrade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot close the screen.

Try this link.

If this doesnt work I will have a moderator e-mail it to you. That may take quiet a while though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I never could download the document but when I removed the top of the washer guess what was inside the lid? A copy of the technical information you sent. Thanks!