Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Whirlpool Model WDF310PLAB - five months old - The dishwasher

Whirlpool Model WDF310PLAB - five months old - The dishwasher drains and fills correctly but, regardless of the cycle chosen, it does not pump water through the spray arms. Is there a way to tell if the problem is with the control board or the pump?
Hello my name is Chas. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. First, we will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix. Please do not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time even after rating by clicking on reply to expert. Please also note, some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control (though I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX was).

Does the pump even hum when you try to use it? Also does the drain function still work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The drain function still works. When the Start button is pushed after a cycle is selected, the diswasher drains, then refills, as it should. After about ten seconds, I then hear a slight "click" but nothing happens for about ten minutes. Then it drains and refills again, but still no action from the spray arms.

Okay, this can be one of 2 things, one is the control board and the other is the wash motor, you would have to check to see if voltages are getting to the motor, if so then the wash motor is bad, if no voltage then the control board is bad, however you say the unit is only 5 months old, which would mean that the unit is still under factory warranty. You should call whirlpool at the following number to arrange for a free repair of the item..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll call regarding warranty service, as you have recommended. For future reference, can you tell me what terminals on the pump should be checked for voltage and what the voltage should be? Is it full 110 or does it get stepped down somewhere? Does the dishwasher need to be completly disinstalled to get to the pump terminals for checking? And, finally, how do I access the control panel?

To check the voltages the connections are all the way in the back of the wash motor. And if you remove the kick plate at the bottom there is a tech sheet with the wire diagram, and yes it should be a full 110-120 volts going to the wash motor.