Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Bought a replacement door for GE SCB2000CBB03 Advantium microwave

Customer Question

Bought a replacement door for GE SCB2000CBB03 Advantium microwave oven because paint on inside had peeled off and metal was rusting. Have looked at parts schematic but do not see how to remove and replace it. Am suspecting that I need to remove unit from wall to get at bottom hinge attachments, but need advice before I start.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Remove Oven Door

WARNING: A microwave leakage test must be
performed anytime a door is removed, replaced,
disassembled, or adjusted for any reason. The
maximum leakage is 4 MW/CM2

1. Disconnect power by turning off the circuit
breaker.

2. Open the door and remove any ceramic or
metal trays or grills from the oven.
Caution: Put electrician’s tape on each side of the
hinges prior to performing the next step. This will
protect the door panel from scratches.

3. Insert a 1.0-in.-long pin (0.098-in. diameter)
into the hole of each hinge.

4. Close the door approximately one-third of the
way.

5. Lift up on the door to remove it from the oven.

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I noted the warning to have my new microwave door tested for leakage. I’m sure this is a coverall statement, because the only way for a door to “leak” microwaves is for it to be cracked/broken, totally misaligned or severely warped. The door to case contact is not really a “seal” but unless abnormally wide will not allow microwave radiation at 2.45 GHz to escape. Likewise, as long as the metal film with holes is next to the glass, microwaves won’t escape through it since the holes are designed to be small enough to prevent passage. I’m not trying to be a curmudgeon about this, but after correctly installing the new door by following your instructions, I’m not inclined to buy a tester or hire a technician. I would attach the two engineering articles I read and saved, but I’m sure you are aware of their content. I will send them to my nuclear engineer buddy to see if he has any further knowledge about reverse Faraday cages…which is what a microwave is. All the best, Dave

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is there for a CYA on my part. An actual microwave is about the size of a number 2 pencil lead, so unless you have some big closure issues, you should be fine.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here